Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorHelenAA
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2019 edited

Hi, I searched the discussions for map borders and found http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=8176&page=1#Item but though it is useful, I want to add a border to a map where I'd accidentally deleted the 1px line as well as the wider, white border. Importing the map isn't really an option as I've thousands of symbols.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2019

This post seems a bit cut off. Don't know if you just forgot to finish it, or if a issue happened when posting, but you may want to update it.
    • CommentAuthorHelenAA

Posted By: MonsenThis post seems a bit cut off. Don't know if you just forgot to finish it, or if a issue happened when posting, but you may want to update it.

I got interrupted by a visitor that I was expecting 30 mins later. It's called 'Life'. :))
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

What kind of border do you want to add. Just a simple line to signify the border, or something more complex?
    • CommentAuthorHelenAA

A basic one, something like the white one that comes as standard on most maps.

Here's a photo of the unfinished map. I've got a line top and bottom, but not at the sides, and I can't resize the drawing area without a border (I'm imagining that's the little 1px red line).
      aaa 9.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: HelenAAI can't resize the drawing area without a border
    That is true, but if you don't have a border, your drawing area is basically unlimited, you don't need to resize the drawing area. The only reason for running the resize drawing area command is to expand/shrink the map border and background to get more/less space.

If you want to add this border, all you have to do is to set both the current sheet and layer to MAP Border, set line width to 0, and then simply use the Line tool to draw the four border lines (top, left, bottom, right), that is really all it is to it. Make sure you don't add anything else to the MAP BORDER layer afterwards though, if your drawing contain anything else on this layer, drawing tools may behave weirdly.
    • CommentAuthorHelenAA

That's what I did, but with the above results! I can get top and bottom lines to show but not the sides :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I had similar problems some time back, and I came up with adding on a separate layer and sheet 4 lines.

I picked a bitmap fill, made the line large enough to show, and using ortho placed them on all 4 sides of the map. The width takes some work as it may not be wide enough to show properly. I adjust the line width until it looks good, then add the other 3 at the same width.

I looked through several maps but couldn't find an example.

Annual 23, if you have it, is about Map Borders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I just use the rectangle tool, set to width, colour whatever you want, layer map border, sheet whatever eg map border, frame, trump squared etc, and fill hollow. Easier than 4 lines and has never failed. The important thing is the layer map border - don’t have anything else on it. I also freeze it till I need to change it.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Here is a png and map file. The bitmap fill I used is Persian Glass. I don't remember what Annual it is in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

If I then want to make a pretty border, I use layer frame, and put a white map border around it, as per my previous comment. See some of my Atlas maps fcw
    • CommentAuthorHelenAA

Thanks - you've given me some great ideas.