CC3+ partially freezes upon executing FILE command after reinstall of 2007 annual

Hi all,

I've run into a spot of bother with the modern city mapping style from the 2007 annual running in CC3+, in that it runs a lot slower than it did when I used it in CC3. Every redraw takes about 2 seconds, whereas before it was instantaneous. I figured I should reinstall the whole annual, which not only didn't correct the issue (I'll probably create a new thread for that after this issue is solved), but also partially freezes my CC3+ when I try to open a different map file.

I will load a new instance of CC3+, I can interact with the map fine, but after going to File > Open, the program hangs. It doesn't do anything besides changing the contents of the command line, I can't interact with anything in the program, etc. However, if I hit escape, the program is restored and I can once again continue to click around in it. I appear to now be locked out of any other map files I have. I am running version 3.84. Has anyone had this issue before, or have ideas on how I can solve it? I have restarted my computer to no success.

Thanks!

Comments

• I haven't had the issue, but the current version is 3.89 - you install that and see if that straightens you out.
  • I didn't realize there was a new version. I just ran the installation, and it seems to have largely corrected the issue of the modern city mapping style taking too long to redraw, but I still am not able to load any different map files, the program behaves in much the same way on that front.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    What happen if you use the OPEN command instead of FILE?
  • edited January 2019
    Thanks! That command works, so I can, now, access my other maps. However, even though I can use that command I'd still like to figure out why trying to open a map from the menu causes my program to seize up like that. I'd rather get that fixed just for peace of mind and in case it could lead to other problems. So if anyone has any ideas about that I'd still like to hear them!
    You can try to check if there are any corrupt browser cache files. Check for a file called ~BRINFO.FC$ in both the CC3+ data directory as well as the directory where you had the map you where stuck with. If you see this file, simply delete it and then test FILE again.

Also, if you open up another map in another directory using OPEN, and then try the FILE command, does it work?
  • I haven't been able to locate such a file in either of those directories. In fact, I ran a scan of my whole computer and it didn't find me a file named such everywhere.

yes, the FILE command doesn't work regardless of what directory the map is in.

What's more - I was going to export a small section of a map to show to a friend this evening, and when I attempted to do so (the command line reads EXPORT), I found out that the program hangs in much the same way that it does with the FILE command. A brief test revealed that these are the only two functions from the file menu designed to open a new window that hang instead of performing the necessary action.
  • You might see if there are any errors logged in the Windows Event Viewer.
  • Nothing turned up in the logs, no.
  • Just bumping this post to say that I reinstalled the program and associated annuals, and I still have the same problem. I first uninstalled the annuals, then CC3+, then installed CC3+, then the annuals, then updated to the current version, and it behaves in the same way.
  • Well, unless someone knows something else to try, I think I'd send a support request to ProFantasy directly.
    Yea, sending in a support request is probably the best.

Do note that uninstalling will only remove the files the installer put in, which means there might be files left in the data directory. For a proper clean reinstall you should uninstall everything, then remove your data directory (c:\ProgramData\ProFantasy\CC3Plus by default) [renaming it rather than deleting it is better so you don't risk deleting something you wanted to keep] and then reinstall everything. (Or instead of removing the data directory first, change the path in the installer when reinstalling to use a different path than the default, just throw a number at the end or something)
  • Strangely enough, the problem appears to have corrected itself.

Yesterday I thought that maybe the commands *were* being executed, and the program was just taking a really long time to do so, so I had the idea to move the program into my other monitor, execute the FILE command, and let it hang indefinitely while I went about my business, and strangely enough the problem is no longer cropping up. I can both open and export files without any issues now.

I don't really know what happened there, but good thing it fixed itself, I guess. If I encounter any further issues I will send a ticket to PF directly. Thanks all.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Depending on your OS and video drivers, CC3+ may an unfortunate habit of always opening its child windows on your main monitor. If you run CC3+ from a secondary monitor and open a child window (e.g. via the BROWSE command), the child window may quietly appear far away on another monitor. The main program window will then just appear to stop while it waits for input from the child window. I recommend always keeping the CC3 window on the main monitor if possible.

CC3+ may also want to remember where you had last dragged your child window and its state, so you may need to watch out for that as well.