can't load CC3+

Hi;

Not sure how much detail may be too much, but trying to account for everything I did from the last time I successfully loaded CC3+ successfully, also running on Win10, will include hardware profile if necessary.

Two nights ago I was working on a map. I had two instances of CC3+ open, one was for creating a new symbol catalog and the other was the map I was working on. After testing that I had successfully integrated the pngs as new usable symbols in my catalog and made use of them, I continued on my map for a couple of hours and after saving. I left both instances of CC3+ and a couple of other programs open as I put the system to sleep then went to work. Yesterday, woke up the PC resumed working and this time after a save, I closed all my open programs and put the system to sleep. This morning when I go to run CC3+ I get the following error message:

Error 00000045a loading XP module: Escarpment.dll

Clicking on the OK clears the little pop up and then nothing. Unfortunately a google search yielded nothing related to this error code, nor did I find anything in the FAQ regarding this particular error so figured I'd post here first before putting in a ticket. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I notice you mention putting your computer to sleep multiple times. Did you try to reboot it? Usually, the failure to load the XP modules are caused by missing the correct version of the Visual C++ runtimes, but that doesn't seem to be the case here since CC3+ was already working before, so I am thinking it may be a temporary issue, which might be fixed by a reboot. (Do a reboot, NOT a shutdown, as Windows 10 has a fast shutdown feature which doesn't clear things completely, while a restart actually does)
  • Hi Monsen, thanks for replying:

Rebooting was the first thing I did, did it twice actually =/ I'm familiar with some of the eccentricities of Win10 (I'm not happy that I was forced by my hardware to install win10, new mobo's USB ports are DOA under win7, spent a full week trying to work around it to no avail before caving to the new paradigm) for the very same reason you mentioned about C++ runtimes having shown up in a couple of other programs I use.

However, due to your post I'm wondering if a Visual C++ library is missing despite CC3+ having worked earlier. I did some digging into my Apps and under MS Visual C++ I found I have the following installed:

2010 x64 and x86 Redistributable
    2013 x64 and x86 "
    2017 x86 "

My assumption however is that CC3 installed everything it needed, so unlikely any other packages are needed from MS's site. I'm wondering if a simple repair install of CC3 might fix the issue? The thing is I'm not sure which of the CC3+ products I need to repair =/ Any suggestions?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Looks like you have the correct redists at least (You need x86 versions of 2013 and 2017).

To do a repair install, you should do that with the base product, and then reinstall the latest update after doing that. This should put everything into place so you don't need to reinstall the add-ons. Of course, the CC3+ installer won't be able to detect if anything is wrong with your visual C++ runtimes though, so the installer will probably just see they are there and don't touch them. Now, I have no idea if there is a problem with them or not, just pointing out how the installer operates.

Note that an error like that can also be causes if one of your CC3+ libraries does not match the build of the main executable, something that should also be fixed by a repair install + latest update.

Since the latest update do replace a lot of the files, you may also wish to simply reinstall that first before going through a complete repair install.
  • Ok, posting my results in case some other soul encounters a similar case:

Based on your suggestion above I did the following:

Ran update 20. No change. Hmm, lets start from the beginning, worst case I have to reinstall the whole thing.

Ran a CC3+ repair install. No change.
    Ran Update 19. No change
    Reran Update 20. No Change.

Ran DD3 repair install, Fixed (or so it seems).

Note: I have all of the Vintyri and Bogie libraries for CC3+ installed as well, the repairs did not (thankfully) affect these any (though I had to go to the screen tool button and reenable the 3rd toolbar, but otherwise seems things are back on track.

However I am a little concerned still. Unless leaving things in memory like I did initially was the cause of the problem, that there is a issue with Win10 and CC3+ that I need to attend to? I'll keep an eye on this topic in case any wiser minds than mine have something to add.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I am also a reluctant Win 10 user with a machine that used to run much better on Win 8.1. Although I hate Win 10 for a number of reasons, I've never had any problems using CC3+ with it. In fact its been the most stable app I have under this dictatorial MS OS. The only difference that I can see between us is that I never leave my machine in sleep mode. I always shut down. Its to do with the fire risk. I left a PC running one night and it nearly burnt my flat down.
  • At my last job leaving Windows in sleep mode caused many problems. So we suggested to the office workers they stop putting their computer in sleep mode. Many problems went away after that. This is with Win 7, but seems to be a problem for all versions of MS Wndows.
    So it looks like this - if you don't put that aggravating OS to bed properly it will get up to some real mischief and wreck stuff.
  • Note that Windows 10, by default, does not shut down even if you tell it to shut down, even if you go into the power options and tell it to shut down when you press the power button. It hibernates, instead, which is less troublesome than sleep mode, but still can cause long term issues. This was Microsoft's answer to complaints about how long Windows takes to boot up. I am not sure how this interacts with reboots, but I suspect there is an effect there, too.

To get Win 10 to actually shut down when you tell it to, you have to go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options, and under Choose what the power button does, click on Change settings that are currently unavailable, and uncheck Turn on fast startup

(It says restarts aren't affected, but with Microsoft, I'm skeptical.)

Note: This will make your computer start up rather slower after a shutdown. Don't say you weren't warned.
    I already have this setup. It does take a long time to start up (3 minutes before I can log-in to my account after pressing the power on button), but I'd rather have to put up with that than have MS mess up my machine any more than it already is.
  • My desktop shuts down. Otherwise I unplug it. It knows I know where the sledgehammer is located.
  • 7 months later
  • edited August 2019
    I'm getting the same error message. Error 00000045A loading XP module: Escarpment.dll

The program was working perfectly fine three days ago. I simply saved the maps I was working on and clicked out of the program. I have had no Windows updates or anything since. Today, it will not open.

Honestly, I don't understand the "fixes" anyone is proposing. Most of the terms being used are flying right over my head. Technological illiteracy at its finest. Is there any way to dumb it down for me? I will take NO offense whatsoever! :-)

I installed the CC3+ update 21 and I have restarted my computer. I am running Windows 10. I run this computer (and the programs on it) with little to no intervention in the way the programs operate. I literally installed CC3+ and the add ons three years ago and just started using them at their most basic levels without delving into the more advanced areas. I am truly at a loss.

Any help or advice from anyone will be genuinely appreciated.
    Oh I do know where you are coming from, since I am similarly technically challenged!

Sometimes it is better to contact Profantasy Support than get several different well-meaning people writing long lists of instructions that may or may not agree with each other - especially if you want to keep it nice and clear and easy - one person dealing with the problem.

You can do this by going to the main Profantasy webpage (there's a tab at the right hand end of those at the top of this forum called Profantasy.com), and log on to your account. Once you have logged on there is a tab (again at the right hand end of them all) called Support. Click this tab and scroll down to the Ask for help form and fill it in with your description of the problem you are seeing.

This way you can be sure that you have exactly the right solution for a problem that may or may not be identical to this one - bearing in mind that quite a lot of time has passed since this thread was started, and so certain things may have changed by now. It could be that your problem is not the same as this one at all.

Profantasy Support are great. Usually very fast and efficient.