Fractal Terrain appears bugged

I am tracing a map a friend sent me in fractals. I am making it fairly well detailed, so I cranked the fractal land template that I'm using up to the following settings:
Strength: 35%
Depth: 7
Limited Segment Lengths:
Min: 0.001 Max: 0.1 Values are percent of map border.
My map is roughly 2200 by 2200.

The problem comes in when I'm doing a large continent. What happens is the fractal tool stops working. I'll get about 50 or 60 segments in and the fractal tool will no longer lay down new fractals (even though it appears to). What it does is appear to move on to the next point when I lay one down, however the previous point is invisible. I can lay down several points like this, but no matter what I do, if I hit Delete then it will move me back to the point where I noticed it starting to happen. If I then continue to lay down new points then it will repeat the same behaviour when I reach about the same number of points. No matter how far back I delete points, this behaviour manifests at about the same number of points.

Is there anything I can do to prevent or fix this? Or is this a bug?

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    There is a limit to how many nodes in an entity can be handled by a drawing tool. Once you reach that limit, you'll see the effect you describe. This usually means, you're really placing down more nodes than is necessary and/or manageable for the map (i managed to lay down 20,000+ nodes before that happened). Note that a depth 7 fractal setting places 128 nodes in one click. Each depth increase doubles the number of nodes placed.

I suggest reducing your fractal depth to 5 or so. This should still give you plenty of detail to work with.