Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2020

Fantastic. I am amazed at your talent on doing these cities. This is perfect
    How do you get the farm field pattern at lower left? I found some bitmap files but they are all overstated for what I want. I think I'd like an effect like that for the open spaces on my map between cities/towns and forest, etc, but more understated. I hope you don't draw them all singly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2020

Yes, I did them singly. I got the pattern from Google Maps of a region around the tiny (unnamed) hamlet of Demelza (my daughter's name) in Cornwall.
      Fields in Cornwall small.png
    YIKES! Uncommonly well done, sir! I will not be doing that. Haven't the patience. Also failed lines, coloring, and penmanship in Kindergarten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2020 edited

Here is my next update - all terrain done (I hope). River shore also fixed.
    Please give critical comments - any changes or tweaks suggestions are very welcome.
    I also attach a high res map of the whole city to date. The next step is to go through it area by area to fix anything that needs fixing (like field hedges).
    I also need advice from Lorelei where she wants various temples placed - about 10 extra needed.
    I can actually see the end in sight.
    Large version of Dun Fingolfin (10,000 x 6,000)
      Dun Fingolfin background.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2020

Q - can you send me a version of my map? I honestly don't remember where or what temples i had you include and it would help me to see it all out in front of me ;)
    • CommentAuthormike robel

This is probably just me, but when I look at this I feel like I am looking at a mural on a wall with the gray mountains being a cloud. It really disorients me.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh no! Now you've done it.

Now I can't un-see the clouds!

Ooops. Maybe I should have just kept my observation to myself. Do not THINK of a Polka Dotted Zebra.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

I think once the city is filled in it won't look that way to you. All the buildings and filling in the city are hidden so that may be why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2020

FINISHED AT LAST.

Just a 'brief' blurb about each district, then off to Monsen

Here is the enlarged version
    Large version 87 Mb
      Dun Fingolfin.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Zounds !

Wonderful detail! All by hand, I suppose, for placement of fields, buildings, etc?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

@mike robel: Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2020 edited

Looking magnificent. The place is no small amount of work.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2020

Very impressive! :D
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2020

I looked at this again, and I will use a word I do not use very much: AWESOME work. You must have incredible patience to detail all those fields and towns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2020

I have since added a few more places of worship, and tidied up some of the eastern district names. I will submit to Monsen in the next day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I have a question to all our artistic friends. Should I add a frame more than a black line (with some thickness)? If so, what sort do you advise?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Personally, I am not that fond of frames, especially for the atlas, as the more frame you add, the less space for viewing the actual map.

But I guess I don't qualify, since you wanted an answer from our artistic friends, and I am clearly not included in that :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Given the quality of your maps - you do qualify. My vote and yours for a simple black line border.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Remy! How can you say such a thing about yourself!

Without is better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime7 days ago

And Lorelei says the same - so no fancy border (thank heavens). Halfway through the write-up, so should be in Remy's hands tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Don't hurry on my behalf. I've got a game this weekend, so I don't think I am going to have time to handle it tomorrow, and on Sunday I leave for a few days. I might find a time to handle it in between things, but there is a good chance that I do not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Stop giving me reasons to procrastinate. I am perfectly capable of finding them myself. :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Posted By: QuentenStop giving me reasons to procrastinate. I am perfectly capable of finding them myself. :D

Yeah, we are the Procrastinator's Map Making League !
    Posted By: JimP
    Posted By: QuentenStop giving me reasons to procrastinate. I am perfectly capable of finding them myself. :D

Or will be when we get around to it. ;)
    • CommentAuthorShessar
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Oh good heavens Quenten. This is fantastic. The amount of time that you've put into this leaves me in awe of your dedication. You are great! :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Posted By: DaltonSpence
    Posted By: JimP

Or will be when we get around to it. ;)

There is an actual, at least I think there is, a Procrastinator's Club meeting at WorldCon. That is the world science fiction convention. A friend and I saw it on the marker board at the entrance, but the meeting time kept being moved to a later and later date/time. That is when we realized it is a practical joke on newcomers to that convention.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Yep, right up there with the classic of sending the apprentice down to stores for a long stand...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Or a glass hammer...

Or a tin of elbow grease...