Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2019

It looks great, Quenten. I just can't see the big version right now. I'm getting a "Can't reach this page" message from Edge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

•  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

You've type https:// twice
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2019 edited

Duh, thanks Remy. Fixed and working now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

No, its asking me to download it.

I don't mind about things like that any more because I no longer have limits on my broadband, but I remember what it was like when I did. Back then I would have been a little annoyed if you had just taken my last 33MB.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

In that situation, isn't it actually better that it asks you to download it? Then you see the size, and can abort, as opposed to the image loading in the browser window without you actually knowing anything about the actual size and how much bandwidth it will eat up?.

Map's looking great, although that way-to-tiled fill for the sea and mountain still jars my eyes. I can't pahntom how you manage to wait untill the end fixing those things, I find it much easier to work on a map when the fills are put in order, as they help me get a better scale of things.

With all the details here, I see that I'm going to have to attempt to make a zoomable image for this one too. Won't be as large as Sanctuary though, doing that enormous export was just too much work getting everything right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I can't see myself making as large a city as this for a long, long time - because it takes a long, long time.
    I guess I prefer to get the nitty gritty bits done first, then add the appropriate background fills later (which is how I did most of the city, with more to be added in the west and east). But I also tend to do only the main streets first, and add in the lanes and lanes in after I place the buildings. Looks more organic that way (I think).
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I will have a look later - when I haven't got every imaginable image app already open with about 60 different draft symbols ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2019 edited

I have decided to take a leaf out of Sue's thread, and post my progress as I go - it will keep me motivated, and let you all comment.
    Here is Brewer's Corner finished - anything that needs changing or fiddling with?
      Dun Fingolfen - Brewers Corner.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

No, that looks great, Quenten :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2019 edited

Posted By: QuentenStrangely, I get the same error (on Windows 7). Can any of our resident boffins help please. This is what I put in (minus the beginning and ending < > ) - Large version of Dun Fingolfin (10,000 x 6,000)

You forgot the < to the left of a in a href. So all of the text in your post looks like a link. I fixed it in this post. And you out an extra <,a> in there. I added a comma to this one so it would show up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2019

Thanks Jim and Remy. it does work now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Today's effort. A Temple of Contemplation and Queen Kathleen's Pavilion
      Dun Fingolfen - Templeton.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Looks good :)

Its the special buildings that add crucial interest to a city.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Call out to experts - how do I export all text to a file?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2019

File -> Save As, then just pick the all text in drawing option.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2019

Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2019

The latest - SE corner completed.
      Dun Fingolfen - Outer SE.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2019

Wow Q, the details.....just awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2019

Here is the bottom half of the Outer east city. I have added a bandstand and circus to the large park
      Dun Fingolfen - Outer SE2.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2020

Here is the Upper half of the NE outer City. I have been really dawdling, but later tonight, I will also put up the monastery and hermitage.

Things to do:
    1. City beyond walls in the NE
    2. farmlands in eastern half
    3. revising cliffs
    4. Making the river better
    5. Convert names and some temples for my very patient sponsor of this city
    6. Going it over with fine tooth comb, and naming some more specific buildings and Districts
    7. Writing short notes about each district.
    8. Treating myself to the best banquet ever.
      Dun Fingolfen NE outer city.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2020 edited

The hermitage of Brechan the Silent. I used Scott's Celtic Houses - I very much want to do a whole village using these.
    Obviously, the surrounds are not yet done.
      Dun Fingolfen - hermitage.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

A preliminary of the Monastery. A few details to be added, but I'm getting sleepy.
      Dun Fingolfen - Monastery.PNG
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Love, love, love how you did the cave in the hermitage of Brechan the Silent. This map will be incredible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2020

Final of the Monastery of the Holy Bull. Most politicians worship here, some more than most
      Dun Fingolfen - Monastery2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

OMG I am getting excited to get my hands on this!! I sure hope my system will open this - fingers crossed. I'm still working on setting an SSD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

i have made a lot of progress over the last 2 days, I think I am on a roll.
    The patron saint of the monastery is of course St Donald the Perfect Caller.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Love the hermitage.

The monastery has a very believable layout.

Did you base it on a real monastery?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2020 edited

Sort of.
    Here is the latest version of the city. Cliffs, farmyards and river to be tidied along with background - the next few days. then the last of the buildings, outside the walls in the east is next to last, finally text and editing. Because of that last, could some suckers, ahem, I mean kind souls, look over it with a critical eye to point out deficiencies.
    Large version of Dun Fingolfin (13,000 x 8,000)
      Dun Fingolfin SMALL.PNG
    • CommentAuthorScottA

Another Quenten masterpiece!
    Man, that is one detailed city! I really like it, Quenten. I don't really have a good critical eye, especially when it comes to city mapping, so I'll just say it looks great!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

All looks good to me :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Mmmm - lots of tidying to do in the farmlands, even the ones I did much earlier. Over the course of mapping this city, my mapping skills have definitely improved, and I am getting fussier. The file is only 14 MB, and the 13000x8000 only 79MB, so still reasonable. With everything on including all effects, it takes only 6 mins to load!! :D
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2020

Will the rest of us ever be able to open it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I hope so. If I can do it on my laptop, you should be able to do it on your new desktop, which seems to have better specs than mine. For the others, a can opener should do the trick.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

LOL Quenten! I'll need the heavy duty version of a can opener I'm afraid.

I really do love the detail that you put in this. It's really quite incredible.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2020

Quenten, this is fantastic. I am so excited for this! but oh....look at my beautiful queen....too bad she's dead. Things have turned dark and tragic in the realm and our queen was assassinated and found hanging from the bridge leading to the castle.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

You..You..You.. Wait till I tell my friend s'Trumpet.
    Better send me a pic of the flag and portrait of the usurper or whoever holds the city.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2020 edited

Nobody as of yet.....it remains the same family. However, at this moment, key members of the reigning family have been assassinated all over the realm. The big baddie in my campaign is a cult trying to assist their demon lord in becoming a god who is now strategically placing members of the family they managed to sway to the dark side in their positions. It's all rather game of thrones, really, lol. I am a devious, dark DM, you know :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Devious?!!! Just plain murderous. Join the Cult of the Dark Lord JimP
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2020 edited

I have at last finished all the buildings. I have tried to make most areas interesting. I like adding portraits using Character Artist
    To do list:
    1.Text
    2.Cliffs, using my favoured style
    3. River edge
    4.Background areas
    5.Go over whole map to correct the inevitable flaws
    7.Write up description of each district -function,types of buildings and highlights.
    The longest will be 5. I hope to have 1 and 2 done by tomorrow.

Large version of Dun Fingolfin (10,000 x 6,000)
      Dun Fingolfin SMALL.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2020

A close-up of the eastern extra-mural part of the city - the last area done. Phew!
      Dun Fingolfin east extramural.PNG
    • CommentAuthormike robel
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2020

Is each building placed separately?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

A mixture of street tool, and individual placement - I finish up moving much of the street placement anyway. But at last that job has finished, and i am already halfway through the text.
    • CommentAuthormike robel

Exquisite detail. Calls for extreme patience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

And lots of procrastination, doing other things and pulling of hair out. Thanks for the compliment, anyway
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: QuentenAnd lots of procrastination, doing other things and pulling of hair out. Thanks for the compliment, anyway

Thats my line to.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

oh wow. A M A Z I N G - I cannot wait to get my hands on this!!! And pray my computer will handle it.