Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2019

THANKS, SUE - SPELLING FIXED, AND BUILDINGS PUT ONTO CORRECT SHEET.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ok :)

Why are you shouting at me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Accidentally hir Caps key, and too tired to retype. Sorry.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

ROFL!

I thought you were really angry about something that you thought should be so obvious you wouldn't really need to tell me what it was! LOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2019

Here is the Amphitheatre - Any comments (not quite happy, but amphitheatre symbols are rather thin on the ground)
      Dun Fingolfen - Amphitheatre.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Here is the city's version of Egypt's Valley of the Kings. Bearing in mind the increasing size of the FCW, which cliff variety is better/preferable (and why)
      Dun Fingolfen - Tombs of Queens.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Considering that this is a tiny detail on a large city map, I think the simpler left version is the best. Cleaner contours generally work better as you zoom out to a more reasonable zoom level for viewing the map.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I agree with Remy :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2019 edited

Well 1 month later, and halfway through my camping trip, here is an update on the city - the southern part of the outer city done, with closeups of the Arena and parklands areas. Some details to add to the west of this map, but I will aim to get all the buildings on the west outer city first. I will be redoing the gully, which also serves as the city's sewer outlet - after all, why should the denizens of the underdark not get some sustenance.
      Dun Fingolfen - south gate.PNG
      Dun Fingolfen - arena.PNG
      Dun Fingolfen - Parklands.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2019

Squeeeee! I can't wait to get my fingers on THIS. Especially after i just found out the Sanctuary may not work out for most users in the atlas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I have to cut down on the detail somewhat, compared to Sanctuary. Could you do Sanctuary in detail by districts/squares and have an overall map with lots less detail eg, my city of Stromphe in the Atlas (Artemisia)
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

That would be A LOT of work. It's really the outer city that seems to be bogging things down. So a version without it, I think will be the atlas version
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Is it still bogged down if you put the entire outer city on a layer of its own that always hidden (except when rendering)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: Loopysue(except when rendering)?
    Remember that rendering isn't the only thing you want to do with a map. When I am using a map in-game, I have the .fcw open in CC3+ on my laptop at the gaming table, so I can quickly navigate to look in detail on the areas the players are going to and much more, there are a lot of things ona map I cannot reasonably accomplish by just using a rendered version.
    A map intended for game use should really have a decent performance when used this way, it shouldn't use be a question of being able to render a map. This is why I always try to avoid effects that would make the map look bad if effects are off for example. Of course it will always look better with effects on, but when it comes to using a map in-game, I am happy to turn off effects to gain performance.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Do you think these problems will be a thing of the past the day that CC4 arrives?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Yes. The CC4 update should make rendering much more efficient on modern hardware.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

And viewing the FCW?

(I feel kind of responsible about the problem with Sanctuary because I was the one who loaded it with so many effects - Lorelei, please get rid of any that seem unnecessary)

Quenten - sorry!

Your map continues to grow in magnificence :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: LoopysueAnd viewing the FCW?
    Sorry, just a bit of unclear wording here. When I said rendering, I was talking about on-screen rendering, the thing that happens continuously when you view/work with the file, as opposed to the render to image concept. I think CC4 will be a huge improvement to both these processes though (mostly because it isn't really two processes, the process is actually the same, only difference is that when rendering to file, you (usually) render it to a higher resolution.

This is also very relevant to Quenten's maps too, his cities have also been on the heavy side lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Hopefully, they don't look too bad with effects off. Example below - effect on, then off.
      Dun Fingolfen - effects on.PNG
      Dun Fingolfen - effects off.PNG
    Where did you get all the Buildings from? Art Asset or Did you design each one in program?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

From CC3+ (CD3) and Vintyri free assets (see sticky at top of forum topics).
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2019

What, no House or Street command results?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2019 edited

Yes - that is also part of CD3, though I am finding it less useful, as I have to edit the buildings a lot, no matter how i tinker with the settings. Good for slums and wealthy areas, not so good for the rest.
    Any requests or alterations - looking at you, Lorelei

And just finished a temple - either a wicked spider cult, or a buddhist-like path with a spider symbol of death and resurrection.
      Dun Fingolfen - spider temple.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ugh! My skin is crawling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I foresee the Creepy Crawly Tavern coming up.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh don't!