Hatch Style modification

In working on a new map using the new annual CA 145, I ran into an 'issue' (most of the time the issue is my lack of knowledge.)

There is a tool to do a forest fill, but it is not the symbols. I've seen these before, but always assumed they are all just bitmaps, and can generally just go into the Fill Style dialog and adjust the size so that it looks proper.

So I lay down the fill and then start to place trees, however, the trees look too small. This is because my map is smaller than the 1000x800 default. I then spent some time trying to find how to make this look smaller, only to find that it is not a bitmap or scalable hatch. I can see in the tool properties that it has a name, CA145 Forest, and that it is a hatch style.

Come to find out, Hatch Styles are just CC3 files stored in a special folder and only usable as outline extra entities for tools (when in doubt, read the instructions).

After a bit of messing around, I did the following.

1. Open the Hatch Style.
2. Rename it to CA145 Forest Small.
3. Group all the polygons together.
4. Reduce the size of the grouped polygons using non-visual scale to as close to my map scale as I can.
a. The symbols in my map were scaling to .36, but this didn't fit when lining them up, obviously. .33 wasn't enough, .33333 was too much, .333 seemed just right.
5. Move the scaled polygons to the top left corner.
6. Copy the polygons, since they are still grouped you only have to click one of them.
7. Place the copied set to the right of the first set, lining up the edges to match
a. Repeat this a third time to span the entire area.
b. Copy the top row and put that under, and repeat. (In general, I'm making a 3x3 box of the reduced polygons.
8. Save file.
9. Make a copy of the draw tool with a new name and point the hatch style to the new file.
10. Use the tool!

Comments

• And here is the file, just put it in the directory 'Profantasy\CC3Plus\Hatch Styles'
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Thanks for sharing, I am sure quite a lot of people are not familiar with these hatch styles.

Note that you didn't have to copy the trees to a 3x3 grid just because you reduced them though, hatch styles tile automatically, all you need to do is to reduce everything, including the background. Saves a bit of work.
  • Hey Remy,

I did try just to non-visual scale the whole thing, but all I get when I try to use it was a black background. Perhaps I'm not changing something right, any guidance?
  • Maybe the Sample width is too small ?
  • Hey Jim, thanks for the suggestion, however, doesn't seem to change what's drawn. I also tried changing the Default Scale in the Hatch file, as well as the Origin (which incidentally moves the hatch in the properties dialog).

It almost seems like what is missing is that the hatch doesn't tile anymore.
  • When I have had to change the sample width, for bitmap fils, I tried multiple settings. I didn't always come up with one that worked for me.
    edited January 2019
    Looks like you forgot to resize the black background polygon. You need to actually rescale everything, not just the green stuff. Since CC3+ will repeat the entire contents of the file, if you have lots of extra black background, this will happen.

The sample width only controls the size of the preview window in the dialog, it does not affect what is drawn in the map at all.
  • Well....

I'm not sure, I did do that, and I just redid it again, checking that I got everything, no hidden layers or sheets, etc....

When I put it in it worked, I then checked the one I did the other day and it also works.

I think that the likely culprit is that I had multiple instances of CC3+ open and perhaps it wasn't updating right.

So, the edited steps are.

1. Open the Hatch Style.
    2. Rename it to CA145 Forest Small.
    3. Group Everything together.
    4. Reduce the size of the grouped polygons using non-visual scale to as close to my map scale as I can.
    a. The symbols in my map were scaling to .36, so that is what I used.
    5. Move Origin to lower left corner. Not sure if this is needed or not.
    6. Save file.
    7. Make a copy of the draw tool with a new name and point the hatch style to the new file.
    8. Use the tool!
    Posted By: kathorus4. Reduce the size of the grouped polygons using non-visual scale to as close to my map scale as I can.
    5. Move Origin to lower left corner. Not sure if this is needed or not.
    When you use non-visual scale, if you just use the origin as the scale center, you don't need to consider moving the origin, since it will have the same relative origin as before.