FT3 to CC3+ Export Issues Please Help!

Hello, I recently acquired CC3+ package that had fractal, dungeon, city, and cc3+ in it. I'm very new and I have been trying to find video tutorials to help learn and also reading some documentation as I go.

I keep getting this: https://gyazo.com/8876067f544b9f7000413aa2ad391e56 , in CC3+ when I'm trying to export this: https://gyazo.com/c549f52fbe2ef2f4f8d92618ff09e8aa into it. Would anyone be able to link me a small tutorial on taking FT3 maps to CC3?

Thank you very much, I'm so excited to use this software.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    What seems to be the problem here? As far as I can see, both coastline and contours look pretty identical.
  • I was hoping that the whole color scheme and everything would remain the same. Will I have to retexture it all? I really wanted to keep most of, or all of the definition and textures that was showing in FT3.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited December 2018
    If it is the difference in shading you see between the two apps that concerns you, remember that FT3 is a 3D terrain editor, while CC3 is a 2D mapping app. The CC3 export looks correct (as Monsen has already pointed out). It has all the contours and it looks the right shape. However the CC3 map won't show the shading because it has no means to reproduce it within CC3, even if FT3 exported the height map.

If you are keen to transfer the shading to your CC3 map you can export a bitmap from FT3 and import that bitmap image into CC3 to use as a background. This has limited uses, however, since it cannot be edited within CC3.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2018
    FT3 and CC3+ are two very different programs, they way they store and operate on internal data makes that impossible. For example, FT3 operates on a grid of data points, which means it can (and must) keep track of height for each individual point and can show difference between points to point, while CC3+ is a cad-based program focusing on shapes. CC3+ doesn't actually understand heights at all, you represent these by drawing differently filled/colored polygons that represent a height range, more akin to the contours on an actual paper map rather than having an exact height for each point.

What you get when you export from FT3 to CC3+ is the actual map, but not the exact visual of the map. It is impossible to represent the map exactly as in FT3. On the other hand, you can do a lot of things with fills and effects that you cannot accomplish in FT3.

Edit: NinjaSue managed to sneak in again.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Revenge at last :P

But you do a far better job of explaining it, Remy ;)