Resize Drawing Area

The command File -> Resize Drawing Area gives me the error message that CC3 doesnt understand the command SCALEMAPEXT despite me using CC3+ and CD3.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Do you have the latest update installed (Currently update 20, CC3+ version 3.89). This is a very recent command, but since updated menu files are pulled from the internet, it is possible to get a menu file with this entry without having the command if you installed an older update after the release of this command.
  • I hadn't, but am waiting for it to install. Will that solve things?
    Yes, installing the latest update will add that command to your CC3+ install (among other things)
  • I am so glad I saw this thread. I had a map of my game world's primary continent that was fairly well along and had given up dropping it into a larger map for the world.

I was a bit into the new one but I think this resized one will be what I go with after I scale it properly. Cheers!
  • My suggestion for new folks is to save as filename01, make changes, then save as again as filename02, etc. That way if you get a corrupt file, you can load earlier versions until you find one that isn't corrupted.

Also, I am rather fumble findered and have likely hit the a keyboard button during save file... that can create problems.
  • Thanks...I am pretty good about not making irreversible changes. Also pretty good at making sure failures of this habit are the most spectacular as possible.
  • Posted By: JimPMy suggestion for new folks is to save as filename01, make changes, then save as again as filename02, etc. That way if you get a corrupt file, you can load earlier versions until you find one that isn't corrupted.

Also, I am rather fumble fingered and have likely hit the a keyboard button during save file... that can create problems.
    LOL, I long ago resorted to doing this so if necessary I've got a roll-back file. I also give my working files names such as EEE 1, EEE 2, for the very simple reason that every time I gave a 'proper' name I messed up so badly that I find that my nonsense filenames are more likely not to go hay-wire!

Thanks for all your help.
  • Is there a way to actually resize a map say drawn on a bigger scale (so the actual size of what is drawn is say 2x too big) to be drawn on a correct scale? So I have drawn a side view of a Volcano Tube, and the map I created I realized it is about 2x too big once I added the grid.
    Just use the scale command on everything. I prefer to use non-visual scale and just type exact numbers, visual scaling by moving the mouse doesn't work too well in these situations. Remember to unhide and unfreeze all sheets and layers first so you get everything. Remember that when asked to select entities for a command, you can hit A for All to easily select everything.

There are more details at the end of this blog topic, look for the "Rescaling the entire Map" heading near the end, there is also a link at the end to a simple CC3+ addon that contains a command to do all of that automatically.
  • Posted By: MonsenJust use the scale command on everything. I prefer to use non-visual scale and just type exact numbers, visual scaling by moving the mouse doesn't work too well in these situations. Remember to unhide and unfreeze all sheets and layers first so you get everything. Remember that when asked to select entities for a command, you can hit A for All to easily select everything.
    I REALLY wanted to use exact numbers when I rescaled my continent after resizing the drawing area but I was unable to do it. I had to fuss and fiddle with mouse movements. I remember using this command in the past, I'm guessing they changed it? I tried using SCALEXY, don't recall exactly what I saw, but wasn't giving me places to input things either commandline or dialog.
    No, none of those commands changed, they work as they have always done. When you use SCALEXY you are prompted on the command line for the X and Y scale. Even if you use the regular (visual) scale, you can still type in the scale factor on the command line instead of using the mouse.
  • Mmmmm, ok. I'll look for that more carefully when I need something that precise next time. Thanks