CC3+ Can I increase fractalization on existing landmasses?

I'm an infrequent CC3 user and and trying to get my game world into CC3+ I drew the landmasses using the Default Landmass tool but now that they're done, I am thinking I'd like them a bit more jagged. I've dug most of the tools I know like Change Properties and looked in the help tool and in here. Either the answers I need aren't in or I'm not phrasing the search strings right. Is there any way to do this?

I'm using CC3+ with all the big add-ons, most annuals and am using the Sarah Wroot style from the 2007 annual.

TIA!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You can use the Fractalize tool, but be really careful you don't hit the landmasses with it more than about 3 times for each landmass, or you will end up with so many nodes that you will seriously slow your map down, or may even cause it to have a tendency to crash. Unlike other tools it happens straight away. There is no "Do it" stage. It just does it the moment you click the polygon.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    As Sue points out, if you use FRX (fractalize) too many times, you'll get lots of nodes that don't add a whole lot to the map. To fix that, the command SIMPLIFY is the opposite of FRX. There is also a command called REDN that purports to be the opposite of FRX, but it's not quite as effective as SIMPLIFY.
  • Thank you both. Those are very helpful posts. I am currently working on adding 'shallows' in the ocean adjacent to the continents and such. I think I'm going to save, and then try the FRX command and see how the two interact. I'm creating the shallows in part by tracing the landmass polygon. I suspect FRX will not change both.
  • So one thing I have found is that the fill doesn't adjust to the changed shape of the polygon. Been looking through commands but can't quite figure out how take the fill from the Wroot style and re-fill the polygon. What am I missing?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2018
    The fill follows the shape, but in many styles, the landmass and the outline are two separate entities, so I am guessing you applied fractalization to the outline only. (This is normal behaviour, because fractalization only does one entity at a time)

Usually, the best way to handle this is to delete the outline, fractalize the landmass itself, and then use "Change Like Draw Tool" to make the shape back into the style of the draw tool, as this will restore the outline again.
  • Monsen - once I looked up change LIKE and not change LINE, I was able to find out about the tool you were referring to and it was very quick and easy. Appreciate the tip! :)
  • After further review (I'm watching American football, sorry :) ) I think I'm going to adjust the fractalization properties on the landmass tool itself so that they're just drawn less smoothly. I was not able to delete just the line before fratalizing, After doing FRX, I could delete the line, but then the landmass was still smooth. If I deleted the fill and then used Change Like Draw Tool on it, the line around the fill wasn't a clear line, like the fill was pushing over the line. Still, I learned something new and that's not a small thing. :)
  • I find after about 5 fractilization clicks my poor computer has fits. This is at 30%. You can save mutiple percentages. I have 5%, 10%, 20%, and 30% for Standard Strength.

So for continents and hemispheres, I don't fractalize. I use fractalize on local maps, and sometmes on nation maps for islands or for continents rarely.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited December 2018
    Posted By: JimPI find after about 5 fractilization clicks my poor computer has fits.
    No wonder, 5 clicks means that you have multiplied the number of nodes in the entity by 32 (Assuming you left depth at 1). Unless it was really simple from the start, this will result in a huge number of nodes.
  • I use polygon to make my large land masses, not default landmass which is typically fractalized already.

So I click 3 times for large land masses like continents, if I fractalize them at all.

Islands probably no more than 3, maybe 4. Small islands might get a number of clicks up to 6.
  • I did end up abandoning the fractalization on the world-scale map This map I'm working on is an expansion of a rather older continent only map. I'm using the Sarah Wroot stuff from the 2007 Annual. After seeing another thread about the new Resize Drawing Area command, I did that.

I'm well into my procrastination-by-perfection routines. After telling myself I didn't need the fractalization, I'm fussing about some other minor things that can be tweaked later instead of really concentrating on forward progress. Good times.