Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorkathorus
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2018

A few years back, I came across a map that a EoTBeholder on DeviantArt made for their games. It included many fantasy tropes. https://www.deviantart.com/eotbeholder/art/The-Only-Fantasy-World-Map-245738593

I've always wanted to throw it into CC3+ and detail it out for my own use and felt that today was the day. I started the map using CA28 Fantasy Worlds, as this should be a world map that has just some detail. More specific area maps can be made from this. I'm going to change the names of the areas to be less tongue-in-cheek.

My first decision was to make the area large, so I made it 4000x3200 units. I also don't want the landmasses to go off the edges (which, itself, is a fantasy trope). With that in mind I made the image smaller than the map by a bit and closed off the landmass.

This is the rough trace from the original.
      Tofwyen.PNG
    • CommentAuthorkathorus

Next up was to make some decisions about how I wanted things.

1. I didn't want the Elk Tribes to be on an island, so I connected that.
    2. Innsmouth is going to be England like, so I increased the islands there.
    3. The elven island is a bit further away.
    4. Make the coastlines more detailed.
    5. Increase the Island count.

I find it amazing how much 'larger' this image looks based on the addition of smaller islands and detailed coasts.
      Tofwyen - Modified.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Wow! I have to agree, the more detailed coastline makes it look a whole lot more real than the first version.

I'm really looking forward to what you will do with this now :)
    • CommentAuthorkathorus
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2018

Adjusted the landmasses some. Added labels that mimic the source map.
      Tofwyen - Modified - 2.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2018 edited

All you need to do now is translate each name into other languages, and few will get the original humour. Google translate would do well here, I think.
    • CommentAuthorkathorus
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2018

I've actually started a spreadsheet so that I can keep all of it straight. I was going to use some fantasy name generators over at http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/ to get names that sound like the culture being imitated. I like your idea about a straight conversion of the text into another language. I will likely use that as well.

Thanks Quenten. (also, I've been enjoying seeing the old posts you're going through)
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2018

Love this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMedio
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2018

Beautiful coastline and a great Annual option aswell. Good job!
    • CommentAuthorkathorus
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2019

Thanks Lorelei and Medio

I think this might be the last bit of landmass adjustment. I've started changing names, but think that I might zero in on the area I'm using for my next game and get that mapped.
      Tofwyen - Final Base.PNG
    • CommentAuthorkathorus
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2019

And with that in mind, the new Annual couldn't have come at a better time. The Original had an Island called Innsmouth. It brought to my mind something to do with Cthulhu, so in D&D speak Aberrations, throw in Medieval England twisted about and we might get Aberrations, Fey, Druids, Knights, Wizards, and Rangers as major components of the 'feel' of the various places.

And I really dig the Color Key effect.
      Dameral WoW.PNG
    • CommentAuthorkathorus
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2019

First pass at how the islands looked thousands of years ago. I plan on making 4 or 5 iterations of the map to get "snap-shots" from different times.
      Dameral WoW - Time of Giants.PNG