Imported PNGs & All of my symbols are gone?

So I imported some pngs for symbols and all of a sudden my symbols are gone. What happened? Nothing is hidden. I never had this happen before. How do I get them back? I don't know what I did to have all of my symbols to be deleted. I really hope there is a way to restore the file to get them back in some way? There is a lot of work put in this. I typically keep copies for things such as this and for some other reason I didn't. Any urgent help would be grateful. I have attached the file.

Comments

• RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    I'm sorry, that's not looking good. There are no symbol references in the map beyond the jungle trees in the western part. I have no idea why a PNG import should have removed them. Do you have a backup, e.g. the Autosave file?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The only thing I can think of that would wipe all the symbols from the map when importing .png's is to set the Method in the import dialog to "Rebuild All" instead of "Update". Rebuild all basically rebuilds all the symbol definitions in the open file from scratch, deleting those that are not part of the current import. Very useful when making symbol catalogs, not so useful in maps. However, I did note there are still a handful of different symbols in your map, and a bunch of symbol definitions int he symbol manager, so I am not sure this is the case here since doing that would have removed everything, unless you placed various symbols around the map before you discovered the problem. No matter if this is the problem or not though, as Ralf stated, you will need to recover by using a backup. If you are using cloud storage as your default save location, such as OneDrive or google disk you may have version history of your file available so you can grab an earlier version even if you saved over the file.
  • Yeah I did a Count All too and it looks like it deleted everything. I did find a back up that I placed in the wrong folder. At least I only have 3 locations I have to redo. Not bad at all. I figured out what I did. When I imported pngs, it gave me a prompt in the screen shot below. I hit "Yes" instead of "No". I must've miss clicked it by accident.

Thanks Ralf and Monsen for your help.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited December 2018
    I think this is one of those times where my plan of save as filename01_001, do some editing, save as filename01_002, do some editing, etc. can help go back and use an earlier file. It definately goes back further than undo can handle.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Ah, that would be symbols with old CC3-style path references. CC3+ changed the default location of symbols from the program directory to the (new) data directory. There is an override in place that lets CC3+ maps the path to the equivalent CC3+ path so it can display the symbols, but the path is still technically invalid. This override also prevents the multi-resolution system to work properly for these symbols, so I recommend you update these to proper CC3+ references by running the FFIX command from the CC3+ command line (irreversible change, so keep a backup)