Copying Symbols Creates a Load Time Per Click

Like the title says. Essentially, for some reason when I use the copy icon to the left of the symbol catalogs, when I copy a symbol, there is about a 5-10 second load time per click when I place a symbol. Never had that happen before. Any idea why that's doing that? Thanks!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi Farsight :)

Are you talking about symbols that have been imported through the Symbol Manager, or just pasted into the map directly from the folder?
  • Hi Loopy, it's any symbol currently in the drawing (on my map). It happens from any symbol catalog. I never had this issue before. Not sure if it's a caching issue or not.
    Hmmm. I was thinking in terms of there being a bazillion individual imported bitmap references instead of proper symbols, so I was up the wrong tree to start with :P

I don't know either.

How many symbols are on your map altogether? I have a very limited laptop, so by the time I'm half way through a reasonable sized city it all gets a bit slow, including the pasting/copying of symbols. Other things that can make a map rather slow are; an excessive number of nodes in large and complex shapes such as coastlines, and having imported thousands of different fills and symbols from several different styles to mix together.
    If there's simply a whole lot of stuff in your map you can speed things up by moving sets of things onto different layers (as opposed to sheets). For example, I can speed things up in my oversized city by putting each district on a different layer and hiding all the district layers that I'm not currently working on. That way, the sheer number of symbols in the map only makes things a bit slow when it comes time to reveal the whole thing for rendering.
  • Yeah, I typically do pull from about a handful of catalogs for symbols and fills. I never had this issue on my windows 7 computer with less powerful hardware. It's just a massive inconvenience really. I am working on this same project for quite a while. It's just weird that I am having issues on win 10 all of a sudden.

Below is my Count All
    That's quite a lot of symbol definitions, and I imagine that you have more than one instance of each one on your map.

Try moving all the symbols in different regions to different layers (you can create new layers for this purpose), and hiding the regions you don't actually need to see while you work on the bit you need to work on.