Stumped and lost regarding solid shapes

I've been playing with the CC3+ for the better part of a couple of months now, I've followed a number of Sweeny's vids, purchased the Tome of Ultimate Mapping and possess all the annuals and the 'big 4' of the cads. I've managed to make a number of maps that were serviceable in that time developing my skills as I go but I've run into a situation that has me utterly stumped and despite going through all the literature, I'm not finding the answer so finally buckling down and asking the forums regardless of any risk of embarrassment to follow. Now having said I have gone through the pdfs I will confess that honestly, there is so much dense data in that book that there are times I don't know how to ask a question in the first place and the index is a hit/miss affair as it doesn't list my particular problem.

The problem is that using the drawing tools on the right side that let me do such things as draw circles, boxes, arcs, etc aren't letting me draw a shape that is a solid. I.E. I want to draw a rectangle and have it be a solid color/pattern from the bitmap collection, or a circle, or a oddly shaped polygon, and all I get is hollow shapes. This is particularly frustrating because in the past I have drawn solid shapes, but I can't seem to narrow down what I'm doing wrong here and what the setting is that governs this.

Something that I'm trying to do is imitate Sweeny from his video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGjpcanqQy0) starting at the 3:20 mark. It clearly shows him creating solid shapes with the drawing tools and further, being able to use a arc to fill with a little technique to auto fill as well. Yet when I try to do this, all I get is hollow shapes. I've imitated everything on his vid on my top bar to no gain. I have experimented with all the radials: Expand to fit, Stretch to fill, Tile to Fill, Opaque, "This is the currently selected fill style", scaled to fit etc. None of them result in a filled shape.

Additionally as I've gone round and round on this, I've run increasingly into situations where a shape will only half render. I.E. I will draw a rectangle, and only the top/bottom sides show with the left right being absent, or various combinations of only two sides of the rectangle rendering. Hitting redraw does nothing to change this, zoom out or in, still only half the shape renders. Draw another shape and zoom and all of a sudden the first shape reveals the invisible lines.

So what am I missing here? Is there a check list that I should go through to enable solid shapes (i.e. I want to draw a black rectangle or solid black circle, etc)? Why am I running into half rendered shapes like this? Is it a setting or is this program showing off a bug?

Thanks in advance for any assistance/guidance to get this resolved.

PS) the inability to preview a post to see how it will look once posted and to see how it reads is IMHO a poor forum design. You should reconsider this forum's design it's more than a little archaic.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You've done a lot more than I did when I started out. I just read the basic CC3+ manual and learned a lot more slowly as I went by showing things here on the forum and asking a whole pile of much more simple questions than that one ;)

First check that your line width is set to zero. If it is not, then click the little window that tells you the width of the line and set it to zero in the tiny little dialog that pops up.

Then check that you have selected the right fill. If the fill name is "Hollow" your shapes will all be hollow. You can change that again by clicking on where it tells you its Hollow and picking the Bitmap or solid fill pattern you want in the dialog that comes up.

If neither of those two things just shout again. They are just the two most common causes of this problem :)
  • Loopsysue;

Oh gosh, (eye popping hug!) You saved me! I set the line width to zero and now the shapes are filling in finally. Good grief, I would've NEVER have guessed that line width had anything to do with filling a shape, that is just so ...thanks. Big big big thanks, now I can get back to my ship designs for my fantasy setting.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You're welcome :)

I think its to make drawing things like towers easier ;)