Rappan Athuk - Cloister of the Frog God - Lower Chapel

Here is a section of my map from the lower chapel with the abbot's laboratory. This is where Abbot Grosso holds his sermons, and works on vile things in the laboratory, he never sleeps, imbued by evil. On a specific role, the PC's might stumble upon him in mid sermon with zombies as ushers. boo.

This was a challenge on many levels. I tried to grab a texture off the internet to get the greenish color but could never get it to scale right. So I took the existing cobble texture and adjusted the color in GIMP and imported it in.

For the chapel I had to set out the floor in separate sheets with differing shadows from left to right. There are four main sheets, Floor Raised 1-4. The 4th is the raised pedestal area to the right.

I created the sections first as thin lines, then added half circles, and then used the multipoly tool to create the floor for each section. I then gave each sheet different shadow characteristics.

But the curved stairs.......holy crap, I feel like there has to be a better way. I wanted the shadow effect of each step on the next, so I created a sheet for Stair 1, 2, 3 etc. I then took the original geometry for the floor trace, copied it, and divided up the lines that made the stairs, then I cut each of those stairs out, and made them each a separate sheet, I then layered them over each other with and group moved them into place. I don't know if that's very clear. It took a lot of sheet managing etc.

Does anyone have any better ideas how to do stairs that takes less time, and fewer sheets?

-Sid

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    That's an impressive map - very green :)

You could use any number of available spiral staircase symbols, or you could make your own staircase symbol and import that on just the one sheet.

Since you are handy with GIMP, if you draw the stairs complete with their shadows on a transparent background in GIMP you can then use the Symbol Manager (Menu) to Import PNGs and import your very own custom made staircase. Its best to save the new symbol first in a folder called "User" within the Symbols folder here:

C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols

And remember to leave it in its original place or the map will show a red X if you move it.
  • Great idea Loopysue. That will cut the sheets and effects out of the equation and make it go smoother. Thank you!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You're welcome :)

I fondly believe this is the reason that symbols were invented in the first place, but I am probably wrong ;)