CC3 User Manual

Long time user here (Since CC DOS days) who's taken an 18 month or so break. Just started getting back into using CC3 again and decided to use the CC3 User Manual to give myself a refresher since I hadn't really used it since purchasing it when it first came out and I had a question on the User Manual. I have been going through all the tutorials. I got to the "Creating a Floorplan" section on page 68 and the program doesn't seem to be following the manual anymore.

1. When you get to Step 5 it says to click on "Wall Features" and shows the icon of a Door. I don't see this anywhere. I also don't see the Wood Door option (Although I see a Door Wood symbol in the default listing.).

2. In step 7 it says to scroll down in the Symbol Display window and click the "+" in the upper left corner of the Symbol "Sconce with Torch 1". I have a symbol labeled Sconce with Torch 3" but there is no "+" on it so I can expand it and and see other symbols. None of the symbols have a + on them so Im not sure if what I see is correct or not.

3. In step 8 it says to click on "Furniture" with the symbol of a chair. Again, I don't have this symbol anywhere.

All that said above, I will say that I DO have DD3 and if I go into DD3 I do see a Furniture and a Wall Features symbols described above, so I don't know if installing DD3 has modified my menus or something. The problem with going into DD3 is I then lose the cool high quality symbols listed in CC3 and I just have the vector based symbols and none of the higher quality symbols listed in the symbol display window before entering DD3. Also, once going into DD3, going back to CC3 I no longer can access any of the cooler symbols that where listed earlier, everything now is only vector based and I have to restart CC3 to get back to the nicer symbols.

Which brings up my final question. Shouldn't DD3 have some of the high quality BMP (or PNG or whatever kind of symbols they are) symbols? I don't have any symbols in DD3 other than vector based ones.

Alarian

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Problems 1, 2 & 3 are caused by the fact that it refers to the icons in the dungeon toolbar, which doesn't exist in a clean CC3 install. Seems like there is a little problem with the manual here.
    If you have DD3, you can get this toolbar by clicking on the DD3 icon in the toolbar as usual (Or by typing menudm #dungeon.mnu). All the symbols it refers to should be in the DD3 sample catalog that comes with CC3. It should be loaded automatically when you created a new map by selecting the "CC3 Dungeon" in the map style selector. Or, you can load the symbol catalog manaully (CATALOG #Symbols\Dungeons\CC3\basic.FSC)

As for your final question. Yes. DD3 contains new png artwork. If you start a new map (Type: "Dungeon", Style: "DD3 Dungeon"), this symbols style should be loaded automatically, and the catalog buttons on the top should bring up catalogs containing these symbols. If not, right click on the "symbol style toggle" button in the left toolbars, and select "DD3 Bitmap", and it should switch to this style.
    I do assume you have installed DD3 properly, and not just the DD2 compatibility update though, which is no more than DD2 for CC3, with no new symbols.
  • edited April 2009
    Is there a way for me to tell if I accidentally installed the DD2 compatibility update instead of DD3? I did do a reinstall after a hard drive reformat about 3 months ago, so it is possible I installed the wrong thing. I'm guessing I may have as when I click symbol style toggle everything listed there says DD2 Pro.
    edited April 2009
    Plenty:
    - Look in your add/remove programs to see if you have DD3 listed or the DD2 compatiblity update
    - If you create a new dungeon map, check if you have the "DD3 dungeon" style available in the map style or not. The compatibility update doesn't have this style.
    - Check if your "#Symbols\Dungeons\DD3\DD3 color" directory exists and is full of png files in the subdirectories.
    - Unless I am mistaken, the compatibility update uses the old DD2 icon on the toolbar (where you select addon), while DD3 has a new icon in the same style as the CC3 one.

The symbol style toogle should contain a series of DD2 Pro items regardless, bu there should also be at least one DD3 style there. (DD3 Color / DD3 Bitmap)
  • 7 months later
  • Hi,

Just bought CC3 yesterday. So this means that since I don`t have DD3, I only have the single sconce #3? And don't have access to multiple door types or furniture?

Thanks
    Hi scan13. Welcome.

Yes. If you only have CC3 and not DD3, you only have a few sample dungeon symbols. They are enough to make a simple dungeon, but for the full set of tools and symbols, you would need DD3. (You don't technically need DD3, as you can make your own symbols, find artwork on the net and so on, but owning DD3 makes everything much easier, and you get a lot of nice symbols and other helpful tools to work with)

And for the future. When you wish to ask a question not related to the current thread, please use the "Start a New Discussion" link near the top left to start your own topic. This helps us keep the forum more properly organized.