Offline installation of CC3+, CD3, DD3, and updates

Now that I am in the fifth total reinstall cycle for my ProFantasy products (actually before I start - again) I need a bit of help.

I must install to a WinXP system that is NOT connected to the Internet. I download to a LINUX system, transfer to the WinXP system using a thumb drive/flash drive, and then attempt install.

Question #1
Should I copy all the ProFantasy products into one folder/directory and install from there or can I copy each product into its own folder/directory then install?

Question #2
I have downloaded both Update 17a and 19. When I tried to install them in sequence, update 19 crashed CC3+ preventing it from starting. Do the updates look to the Internet for files?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I can help with just one of those questions.

It doesn't matter where you keep the install files. Mine are still right were I downloaded them in my Downloads/Programs folder. They seem to work fine wherever they are. Remember to right click and install as Administrator each time. The order of installation is CC3+, Latest CC3 update, add-ons, Latest CC3+ update. You only need to run the most recent update.

As for the rest - I'm just a confused person. Sorry!
  • Thanks Loopysue, I will now try again.

Thinking my sequential install of the updates may have caused the last problem.
    I do notice that you mentioned the CC3 update as well as the CC3+ update?

As for being confused, the older I get and the more I think I understand about computing, the more confused my world becomes. I am just glad I am not alone on that plane. :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited November 2018
    Posted By: ManfredDo the updates look to the Internet for files?
    Yes, but only for a few files, like the newest macro file, latest menu files and so on. Thse files are also included in the update itself, but it do check if a newer one is available online if internet is available, but it isn't dependent on this.
    As for update 19, it unintentionally breaks Windows XP compatibility, so don't install this on an XP system, wait for the next update where this is fixed.
  • I think Loopysue means CC3+, Latest CC3+ update (19) , add-ons, Latest CC3+ update (19).
    So between base CC3+ and addons you always install the latest patch. Then addons and then patch again.
    Loopysue will correct me if i got it wrong.
    Yes, thank you Grimmric :)
    edited November 2018
    Only in this case it would be update 17a, until 20 comes out ;)
  • I just bought CC3+ and some addons. Is this installation process still valid? ? I've installed the program, update and add-ons without any hiccups. Do I really need to re-install the update (no. 19) after installing the add-ons (city, dungeon, fractals and symbol set)?

If so - why re-install? Why must I re-install VS C++?

When I do the update, there's a blank page with the note "Add an index.htm file to your project to display it here, along..." and it ends there. Any idea what this is all about? Is there some glitch in my installer?

And when I try to re-install the update, i get warned my program has a later update already installed. Should I continue?

Sorry if these are newbie questions, but there's no readme file to refer to in the package.
    edited November 2018
    Posted By: ichadwickDo I really need to re-install the update (no. 19) after installing the add-ons (city, dungeon, fractals and symbol set)?
    yes
    If so - why re-install?
    Because the add-ons installs new files to the system, and the update contains updates both CC3+ and installed add-ons. If you don't install it after all the add-ons, you won't get the updates available for these.
    Why must I re-install VS C++?

When I do the update, there's a blank page with the note "Add an index.htm file to your project to display it here, along..." and it ends there. Any idea what this is all about? Is there some glitch in my installer?
    Unsure about why VS C++ shows up every time. It does that on some computers, including one of mine, seems like the installer software fails to see that it is already installed for some reason. The message about the index.html file is just because ProFantasy haven't skinned that part of the installer (most people never even see that part usually).
    And when I try to re-install the update, i get warned my program has a later update already installed. Should I continue?
    Seems like there might be a small bug in the check for which update is installed. You can safely ignore that warning and continue. (Provided you are installing the latest update of course, currently 19)
  • Thanks for the answers. I wish the update installer had an option to skip the C++ files.

Wouldn't it be better to install the update only after all the add-ons had also been installed? Or is there some reason the add-ons need the update to be there first?
    The only reason is that some add-ons require CC3+ to be at a certain patch level before they will even install, that's the only reason to install the update before the add-ons.

As for the C++ stuff, do that take long on your computer? On mine, it is less than a second, so it never really bother me.