Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2018

A small quiet forest near croplands. Ruins in the woods. Ghost trees along the shore with pentacles by each area. Towers and a castle in an arc between the forest and the croplands.

No need to worry citizens ! The towers and castle are just a precaution !
      ghost_forestarea01_0007b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2018

I like your maps so much more without the arrows you used to put in them :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2018

I still do, just not the ones I post here. :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2018 edited

A slightly more detailed area map. I think I'll zoom nto the Ghost Forest area and maybe one of the ruins in the forest for the detal maps. This map is 10 miles by 10 miles. I'll add the scale and compass rose later, about to get busy this afternoon.

Drum castle, they have a drum alarms if anything emerges from the forest.

Just under the words 'Guard Road' and to the left and below those words, are two small hamlets with rotting fields. They could be haunted.

Two evil markers with horns in the center area.

Henge ruins with broken towers near them, just to the west of Drum Castle.
      ghost_forestarea01_0012b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2018 edited

Drum towers are great. I love them. I use one in the opening of a novel - beating the dirge for a dead hero being carried shoulder high by his archers out to the pyre...

Sorry - getting carried away!

The sound of drums carries further than bells. Like the rumbling noises that elephants make which we can't hear but can feel through our boots. Only the bigger bells can match it, and only when they are big enough to make those same long wavelength sounds.

Sorry again! Getting even further from the point.

This is looking quite interesting now. Looking forward to the detail maps :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2018

Or the low frequency sounds of whales.

I think i"ll detail one of the gray tree-pentagram areas, and one of the henges with ruined tower nearby.
    Very nice.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2018

Are you going to map the ruined tower as well?

That would be great :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2018

I'm thinking about it. Maybe do a better job than Old Grouchy Tower...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2018

Was there something wrong with Old Grouchy Tower? I didn't see it :)

Maybe you are doing the old hyper-self criticism thing again ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2018

Thought I had replied already. On my cell.

More about needed details like a partial floor above ground level.

I know I angst about my maps sometimes they aren't very good.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2018

We all do that, Jim. Its because the map maker knows what he/she wanted it to look like. The result is never exactly the same as imagined. But other people don't have that problem. They only see the result, so they don't have that constant feeling that it could have been 'better'. :)
    Posted By: LoopysueWe all do that, Jim. Its because the map maker knows what he/she wanted it to look like. The result is never exactly the same as imagined. But other people don't have that problem. They only see the result, so they don't have that constant feeling that it could have been 'better'. :)

Excellent observation, Sue. This is so true.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2018

Well, if I had around a few thousand more symbols of the things I really want symbols of, and I had time to make some significantly large bitmap fills to suit me thought... ah well, I'll just punt and work with what I have.

Hopefully getting the two detail maps done this week.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2018

Map is three miles by one mile tall. each square is one quarter of a mile by one quarter of a mile, or 1,320 feet by 1,320 feet.

The symbols look a bit small to me. Their scale is 0.00300.

The Lost village was supposedly over run by one very large rat. There are those who claim the ghost trees surrounding the village were planted to look like a rat. Those distant relatives who have gone here to look for survivors don't come out of this small wood.

Dead Keep houses something evil. Lanterns can be seen moving between floors at night.

Henge of Unhappiness used to be called Henge to Glory. It broke under evil attacks.

Castle of Doom was once called Defenders' Castle ! Its inhabitants are no more.

Strange noises can be heard from the woods of Ghost Forest, day or night.

Burn ? Yes, a star has been burned into the very Living Rock that has been pushed up from below. By what ? That is unknown.

png at 65% of 1400 pixels
      ghost_forestarea02_0006b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Here are the map sizes and where.

Lost village map: 702' x 538'

Dead Keep map: 258' x 200'

Henge of Unhapiness: 460' x 345'

I might make the Henge to Glory, what it was before it came under attack and ruined.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

Here is the preliminary Lost village.

I used CSUAC dsymbols as they had good ruins symbols.

Should I zoom in a bit ? Scale bar is 50'.

One large building top, the three mounds of debris.

Six small buildings to the right, some walls, all have fireplaces.

Three buildings south of the large building.

One building off by itself, towards the lower left.
      lost_village01_0007b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Its all a bit tiny, Jim. Maybe the symbols should be larger?
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Yeah. I'm not sure why. I did click on Set Normal in the symbol before placement. The scale it set was 1.0.

When I zoom in and check the fireplaces, the flue is 2' across and the entire symbol is 7' wide.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

The map is 700 feet across. The trees are 20 feet across and the ruined walls are 3 feet thick. So I'll use blocks for the houses, and make a more zoomed in map for details.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Interesting. Anyway, these symbols are the ones I was going to use originally. They are also scaled at 1.0.
      lost_village01_0009b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

They are a lot clearer than the other ones :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Indeed. They are CC2 symbols, but in CD3 folder... I wan't to use CSUAC 2 symbols, but you have seen the smaller ones from there. I might try them as 2.0 scale instead of 1.0.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime6 days ago

If you make them larger they will probably work a lot better.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime6 days ago

I will try them later today or tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Now I have a bit of a cold. Anyway, I"ll work on the maps as I can.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime5 days ago

Here it is with paths added. Thinking about detail under the banquet hall, and in/under the mayor's home.
      lost_village01_0010b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Looks like I have a severe cold. I'll be back when I feel substationaly better than I do now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Poor Jim!

Get some rest and drink plenty of water/fruit juice.

That additional detail might be better in a dungeon scale map, but I expect I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs again :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime2 days ago

I keep dozing off at odd moments, so no mapping for now. I have been practicing my cough, its not gettng better.

I want to make maps of the Mayor's house interior, and a stairway down. Then one of the basement. Probably one for the Sage's house to.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime2 days ago

You really should take more rest generally!

I do hope you recover soon :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime1 day ago

I try to get in 8 hours, but I partially wake up coughing and wheezing. Hopefully I'll be well soon.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Stay warm, and drink plenty of water.
    Posted By: JimPI try to get in 8 hours, but I partially wake up coughing and wheezing. Hopefully I'll be well soon.

I know how it can be with a cold. Just want to sleep, but the cough won't let you. Had to sleep sitting in a recliner with one cold several years ago. Barely got any sleep and had to get up early to be on the flight line at 0530.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTime2 hours ago

I feel better today. Hopefully mapping soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTime2 hours ago

That's great. Just take good care of yourself and don't overexert yourself until you are properly well.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime1 hour ago

Remy's right - don't overdo it. The body is still quite weak for a coupe of weeks after 'recovering' from a cold, and can easily lapse back again if you push yourself too hard.