Overland Tools in City Designer Mode

[p]Ok, so I'm trying to redo the city of Sanctuary from Thieves' World (70's fantasy) and I'm struggling as I'd like to include some surrounding terrain and I can't figure out how to load terrain tools and textures. I've linked two screenshots. The first shows the city with my map/image overlay as a guide and you can see the surrounding terrain I'm creating. The second has that image hidden. The second image shows a lot of texture repetition and I'd like to be able to use an Overland draw tools and fill style but I can't figure out what to click on to do it. All I get are the tools/textures for the Jon Robterts city style I picked when I started the map. For example using the Herwin Wielink Overland styles to do the swamp area, etc.. Any ideas?

[p]
With Map Guide:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqgi9BnaamUigc9Ac48ZpM5Us9yuqw

[p]
Map Guide Hidden:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqgi9BnaamUigc8_IVJYvYbjkGgdmA

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Repetition of fill can be reduced by changing the scale of the fill in the fill style properties dialog. Do keep in mind that the resolution of the fill is not unlimited, so increasing the scale a lot to lessen repetition when zoomed out can lead to pixelation when zoomed far in. Remember that repetition also gets less visible as you start to cover things up with buildings and such, so the scale may not need to be as much adjusted in the end as it can appear on an "empty" map. Using patches of different fills instead of huge monotone areas also breaks down repetition.

To use the overland tools and their fills, you need to import the fills into your map. This is best done by using Draw -> Insert file and start the process of inserting a file from the appropriate style into your map. However, once you get to the step with the map outline on your cursor, ready to place, just hit Escape instead of placing it, the fill styles will already have been copied at this point. Now, the drawing tools from that style should work nicely, just pick the appropriate drawing tool style from the drawing tools dialog. Note that overland tools are not scaled correctly out of the box for a city map, so you'll probably have to adjust their fill scaling too.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Totally agree with Monsen.

I once did a city of a similar size to that. When I started out with just the land it looked like a crazy green carpet with a grid design when the texture scale was set small enough not to pixelize when zoomed in. I did two things. First I added a second grass sheet and drew irregular patches of long grass over the original short grass, and then I covered the whole thing with buildings, roads and trees.
  • Thanks Monsen - I'll look at that command, and I agree Loopysue that's basically my plan is to cover the areas to break it up visually.
  • Ye gods, this takes me back! Had to dig out my original "Thieves World" boxed set after reading this (actually from 1981 it turns out, though the first tales anthology on which the setting was based was indeed published in 1979!).

After looking at both your linked images, I'd say it depends just how you want to redraught the map as to where to go from here. Obviously, if you're set on using fill textures, that's one thing, and Monsen and Sue's suggestions will be invaluable for that. However, and based after viewing just your second image, an alternative might be to use simple coloured polygons instead of ones with fill textures, which would be similar to how the original printed map was presented (sepia ink on cream paper for those without access). With a few effects to tone down any harsher shades (such as Transparency), that might be an interesting alternative, and one without the fill-grid downside.
  • I found that box set at a convention a few years ago and bought it. I put Sanctuary, just a circle dot so far, on my Tunnels and Trolls world/site. And a book for the rest of the stories based on Runequest conversions.

Hadn't thought about mapping it. Good luck !
  • 11 days later
  • I found a scan of the original city map (and the Empire map) from the hard cover edition on one of my old hard drives. I'm pretty sure they are under copyright, but the scan doesn't carry a copyright notice. I could post to a OneDrive location for reference if anyone's interested.