Hex maps and coastlines

I can't seem to find any information about how to make a hex map where the hexes don't pass over the coastlines. I tried playing around with sheets but of course you'd need to put the hex symbol sheet above the sea sheet but below the land sheet, which is obviously impossible since the sea sheet has to be above the land sheet. Any ideas?

Another thing I'm having trouble is how to resize a map area that you started out with too big.

Thanks,

Autumn

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Solution is usually to just add another sheet. Remember that even if some things are on a certain sheet by default doesn't mean you have to leave it like that. You can move the coastlines to a different sheet if you want to, and put that on top.

To resize the drawing area, just use the Resize Drawing Area command from the file menu. When reducing the area, it will remove from the top and right, so put your entities in the lower left. (Note that it only resizes the drawing area (map border, background, screen), it will leave the rest of your map alone.
  • You can add sheets, several of us do that. I add one or two sometimes... but a certain person here adds lots of them.

I have been working on a Tunnels and Trolls world map, and local maps in hexagons as the game is based on that type of map.

Problem is the coastline, demarkation between plains and forests, etc. What I did was let the hex symbols show where the coastline, etc. was located.

But I have started making 'regular' maps with a hexagon grid. That way I can show partial hex areas with both ocean and land in the same hexagon.
  • Hey guys thanks for the help. I often add sheets for different things but hadn't though of moving the coastline. I'll give that a shot when I get home.

I can't believe I missed the resize command. I thought I'd seen it somewhere and was looking for it again for about an hour. Probably just too tired.

A.