Making a game map

I am currently making a game map for a web based game dome in PHP. I am making it hexes and the game will have hex based navigation. Now I have worked out a system to do the map however I will post how I am doing to see if CC3 has a better system I am missing.

My game map will be large and expandable. I also want to display the exact hex the payer is located at plus have a world view and regional view.

here is the system I am using as of now but an open to a better idea is some has one.
Make 100 regional maps that look something like this (please dont laugh at my lack of skills I am just figuring out the software lol)

this is save as a bitmap at size 3600 x 3600 (often CC
crashes repeatedly while doing this so it is very time consuming)

then I open the regional maps in fireworks and cut it up in to the hexes that end up looking like this

when I complete the 100 maps I will save them all as smaller maps with out the Hex grid and make a world map" I know I can get this system to work as I can make a basic regional map and cut it up in 45 60 min . My question is there a better way?

Comments

• My only idea to make the process a bit quicker would be to export the hex map as a separate PNG and then open the base map in Photoshop, import the hex map as a separate layer and then use the selection tool on the hex layer and then copy/past on the map layer.

I'd love to hear more about the php map you want to put on the net and how you make it selectable. something like an interactive atlas on the net would be a great idea for my own campaign world.
  • If you right-clink on the Save icon, you can choose 'export rectangular section'. That takes typed coordinates for precision, or mouse-clicks. It exports to a .png, .jpg,or .bmp file.

If you want to play around with save-as, zoom and trim to entity, and move the map borders around, you could probably do all the manipulation you need. (The map borders part is important, as some things snap to lines drawn on the map borders sheet by default.)

I hope that's what you're looking for. Otherwise I don't quite understand the question.