City rooftops project - Part II

I think part I of this thread got a bit lost. It certainly weaved in and out and may even have doubled back on itself once or twice, so here is a fresh start with the ideas that remain to be examined from the first thread.

First up, I remember mentioning angled rooftops that were a little too complicated for the House command. From a diagram very much like this one:

[Image_11820]

https://homesthetics.net/roof-types/

I worked out that while the House command can do most of these roofs quite easily, and some of them with a little patience by combining two rooftops in one building, there are some that would be much easier to do if there was simply a symbol to paste in a style that fitted with the existing styles.

I have already explored the Dutch gable rooftop in its more elaborate form in the Japanese temple and village sets, and there is just a little more work to do on them in a second temples set, in which I am hoping to cover temples from the rest of the world. There is also no reason to leave the Dutch gable out of other sets in its more simple form without the flying eaves.

I started part I of this thread by looking at the Skillion and lean to, but never got as far as including it in a set, so that one also remains to be done. Of the rest I am interested in looking more closely at the Jerkinhead, which in my mind would make a really suitable barn roof, and the Gambrel, Mansard and Saltbox rooftops.

With Profantasy's permission I would very much like to design a few new symbols using the Profantay fills and imitating the original styles to make a set of these roof designs as appropriate to the existing styles.

I'm not interested in doing the Butterfly roof, since from above I think it would just look like a roof that was shaded the wrong way around ;)

I think this more or less covers all the really usable rooftop designs.

In addition to all of this, I am currently working on a tutorial for Profantasy's blog that will explain how to make similar symbols to the ones I will be making almost entirely in CC3 - including the map file, so that you can have a go at this yourselves if you wish :)

Please feel free to mention any other rooftops that might be suitable for this project, such as kiln, blacksmith, and anything else you sometimes wish we had.

Comments