Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2018 edited

And surrounding areas. Tower on left side is Coast Tower, and the lighthouse is Almost Home Lighthouse. I'll be naming the rocks off the light house.

This is my start point.
      oldgrouchyb2.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2018

Area map so far.

Grinder Forest: late at night, when the fog rolls in, you can hear a gigantic food grinder grinding something.

Lost Soul Promentory: wailing winds or a lost soul ?

Shatter Rocks: Avoid at all times, especially during storms as the howlings winds can shatter your ear drums.
      old_grouchy_tower01_0005b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Looking good, Jim :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Jim, could you consider not using arrows, but put the labels closer to the object referred to, and perhaps reducing the font on some eg Old Grouchy tower, Coast Toer, Target Castle and Almost Home Lighthouse, to differentiate them from the geographical details? And the Forest text would be OK situated on the forest (perhaps with Forest Under Grinder, rather than beside). Just a thought anyway.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Easier on my eyes to use them, but I'll work on that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2018 edited

Without and with effects.
      old_grouchy_tower01_0007b.png
      old_grouchy_tower01_0008b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2018

Looks much nicer without the arrows IMHO.
    • CommentAuthorLorelei
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2018

The version with the effects and no arrows gets my vote.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2018 edited

Mine too :)

You might find it easier to read the text if you leave the effects on as you work and make the glow around the letters a bit more obvious. That way the labels will be lifted out of the background detail.

For black text I'd use a pale glow (not necessarily white, but a lot paler than black)

Working with effects on doesn't really take that much out of the system. Its only when you get something like a really vast and complicated city that you have to think about things like that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2018 edited

I can try a medium gray behnd the text.

Don't particularly like the glow on the land edge... it looks like sand. Anyway, this is the area map done. Deciding on which smller area to detail. Probably Old Grouchy Tower.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2018

Outer glow on text is 251 gray. Nothing else changed.
      old_grouchy_tower01_0009b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That helps enormously! :)
    • CommentAuthorWyvern

The grey glow on the labels looks a bit misty to me; atmospheric, but maybe not so clear as it might be?

I'd be inclined to move the Grinder Forest label to be directly above the forest. It looks currently as if it could be labelling the large structure at the road T-junction instead.

Maybe tweak the Target Castle label as well - multi-line it, perhaps?

And spell-check for Promontory ;)
    • CommentAuthorJimP

color 254 for under the letters.
      old_grouchy_tower01_0010b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Have you considered fading the edges of that glow?

It looks like you are using an 'outer glow', but I can't see it close up enough to be sure. Try, as an alternative, the 'glow', set to outer and see what you think of that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2018 edited

Yup, outer glow. Changed to Glow, with Outside selected. Can't seem to get it to show up now.

I'll attach the png and the .fcw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2018

Have you considered adding a few more details? The map look good, but as far as I can see, there are hardly any details added to the map compared to the section you started from on the parent map. Minor (fishing) villages along the coast for example, perhaps some small streams and such.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

This is more of a link area for some smaller area detail maps. But I could do that to.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Scale is the same 0.02 for all symbols, but the hamlets, towers, and windmills are not the same size. The windmills are water pumps.
      old_grouchy_tower01_0015b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

May I recommend that you move the fields to their own sheet, one without a shadow effect. They seem to be floating above the ground.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Hmmm... not sure about the drop shadow on the text. Makes it even less readable for me.

What happened to the glow?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I couldn't get the glow to show up... here is the fcw.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

changes. Went to Outer Glow range and blur size of 0.3 with color 15 Couldn't get Glow to work. Had to fix a problem... somehow I got the farmland symbols on the text sheet. All fixed now.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That's better :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Much prefer this. But...I don't see any JimP ruins/dungeons, stone circles here - have you lost interest in dungeons or what? ;)
    And would you mind if I did Target Castle?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

This more of an area map. I have some ideas for old grouch tower.

Sure go ahead on Target Castle. It is called that because no matter how many times they remove the painted target from the north wall. It gets painted back. Large painted area. Won't show on a top view but I figured I should mention why it is called that now. In older times it had a different name I haven't thought of.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

On my cell phone. Anyway there will be a dungeon under old grouchy. I thought about caves near the almost home light house but I currently have no ideas on that.
    • CommentAuthorWyvern
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2018

Jim, you may find it useful to fiddle along with Glow a little more to get it to look right. For example, if you reduce the Blur Radius further, you should get to a point where it looks like just a bright outline around each letter, rather than an overall misty cloud. This seems to work better with some font styles than others though. I've never done much with the separate Inner and Outer Glow effects, as while they give you more opportunity to adjust more things, that just confuses me still further...
    • CommentAuthorJimP

I tried from Strength 3 to 90 on the glow area, and nothing showed up. Today I try 25, 30, 35, 40, and 90... I get a larger and larger black haze. No rectangle under the text.

As for the caves near the light house, I think someone else could do them betterthan me.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2018 edited

Closer in view.

Added some adventure hooks. Clear cutting of trees near the crossroads; a small port village long gone; evil in Chestnut Forest; rotting vegetables and apple orchard south east of Dead willow Village; why is the port symbol by the stream and not The Old Port ?

I had to tone down some of the effects. A bit off...
      old_grouchy_area02_006b.png
      old_grouchy_area02_007b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

That's great, Jim.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2018

The effects go too far into the map. I'll have to fix that. I want them more along the edge.

Next is the area around Old Grouchy Tower. Not sure about me mapping the interior... but how else will I get the basement in ?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

You can do it, Jim :)
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2018 edited

The exterior, using CA 117. And a tower cap from Symbols\Medieval Symbols.

Need to find some dead shrubbery, and maybe some broken tiles for the roof.

And exterior with effects. I shortened the external drop shadow.
      old_grouchy_tower03_0004b.png
      old_grouchy_tower03_0005b.jpg
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2018 edited

CA138 City Ruins. I have no idea why I never noticed them before... voila !

Ruins, no upper floors. So on to the basement.

I didn't fade the edges of the floor... should I have ?
      old_grouchy_tower04_0003b.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Yes, that will make it look like the grass have started to reclaim the place. Maybe even not use a fully circular polygon here, to more fit with the ruined look.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The floor doesn't meet the edge of the ruin... I'll fix that.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Looks like the tower was build on rocky soil, instead of sand.
      old_grouchy_tower05_0005b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Posted By: MonsenYes, that will make it look like the grass have started to reclaim the place. Maybe even not use a fully circular polygon here, to more fit with the ruined look.

Should I increase the tile area ? Or attempt to make a broken wall with a bitmap fill and remove the ruin symbol ?
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Sub-basement. Starting work on a small Perspectives dungeon.
      old_grouchy__tower06_0003b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Dungeon. #5 is a worn ramp, could cause a tumble. Haven't decided what to put under the rope path yet. Probably water, or clouds.

I'll go back and work on the tower interior.
      old_grouchy__tower07_0006b.png
    • CommentAuthorJimP

A redo of ground level. I'm thinking about moving the compass over by the scale bar and reducing the overall map size.
      old_grouchy_tower04_0007b.png
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Wow Jim! You are either having a mega creative day, or some of these were done over the last few days.

Loads of maps! :)

Nice ones, too :D
    • CommentAuthorJimP

The last 6 were all done today. I had some spare time. Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2018

Hopefully i can finish these up on Tuesday. I probably wont have time to work on maps until the weekend after Thanksgiving if I'm not done today.

Oops. My mistake Quenten if you want different items around Target Castle than what I put on the map, feel free to change them.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2018 edited

Old Grouchy Tower area including Target Castle

map: old_grouchy_tower01.fcw

Old Grouchy Tower area

Some people still live in the area. But Old Grouchy died years ago. His tower and the nearby village are long gone. The inhabitants either died or moved away. Something evil resides in Chestnut forest.

==========================

map: old_grouchy_area02.fcw

Closer in area

Dead Willow Village used to grow cabbages and apples. Don't eat the ones that grow there now.

Blue Scar Stream water looks good, but don't drink from it !

Anchorage where the stream meets Basher Bay is long gone. The Old Port is not close enough to be the anchorage... Or did the stream move ?

map: old_grouchy_tow03.fcw

exterior

The bushes move over night. Some say they dance by moonlight. Those who stop by to see them dance are never heard from again.

map: old_grouchy_tower04.fcw

interior

A few skulls, no remains of the rest of the skeletons are here. Broken rocks and furniture fallen in from the gone upper floors. A metal spiral stiar leading downwards.

map: old_grouchy_tower05.fcw

basement

Looks like the tower builders found the only good place to put it. The rest of this area is sandy and couldn't hold it up.

Bones and rotted furniture.

map: old_grouchy_tower06.fcw

sub-basement

Just a pile on bones, with a nice fresh barrel on its side. Or is it an illusion hiding something ?

map: old_grouchy_tower07.fcw

dungeon

room 1) a small chest hidden behind the stalagtite.

Stone door leading down to room 3. Careful, the ramp numbered 5 is slippery !

Room 2) a rope and wood path leads to this rectangular room.

The small stone pedistal will chime when approached. If you listen quietly, the stone block might whisper to you.

Room 3) locked stone door blocks the entrance. The low walls actiually go all the way up to the celining, this is a cut away view.

Three crates, they look like new. How could that be ?

Room 4) small rectangular room.

Two crates, but are they full of treasure ?

Behind the stalagtite could be a fossilized hand holding a dagger.
    • CommentAuthorJimP
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2018 edited

Seven maps with text submitted. They are rather minimal, so I decided to submit them together.