Classic Map Icon Resource?

I am making a dungeon map with Mike Schley's pack. I would like to use some classic map icons, specifically the circle and star to represent a statue. There are images on the web, but they all come as square images that are not transparent.

Does anyone know of a resource for this type of icon for download and import?

-Sid

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    As long as the images are in focus with nice sharp edges you can turn the background transparent in any of the free bitmap image editors, like GIMP (there are others, but I can't remember what they are because I usually use GIMP for this job).

Open the image in the bitmap editor of your choice and select the background colour and hit delete. (if its a jpg you've got you will have to add alpha to the image before you can delete the background).

Then you can export the altered image from the editor as a png file, and import it into your map as a new symbol using the Symbol Manager.

These instructions are very basic, you may need more detailed help. Just ask if you do :)
  • Lord Sidmandoo: If you have the first year of the Cartographer's Annual installed, issue 12 of that, called somewhat opaquely "Create Your Own Style Pack", actually contains a set of CC3+ symbols for these classic map icons for drawing dungeons - the old "blue" or "grey" style of TSR D&D published map drawings - including that star-in-a-circle icon you described. You can see better what I mean here. The free download symbol pack by John Bardales available on this linked page also contains a variant of this same symbol, even if you don't have that issue of the Annual available.
  • Posted By: LoopysueAs long as the images are in focus with nice sharp edges you can turn the background transparent in any of the free bitmap image editors, like GIMP (there are others, but I can't remember what they are because I usually use GIMP for this job).

Open the image in the bitmap editor of your choice and select the background colour and hit delete. (if its a jpg you've got you will have to add alpha to the image before you can delete the background).

Then you can export the altered image from the editor as a png file, and import it into your map as a new symbol using the Symbol Manager.

These instructions are very basic, you may need more detailed help. Just ask if you do :)
    I was able to google that advice a bit and with GIMP I got a working icon going. Thank you Loopysue! -Sid
    Posted By: WyvernLord Sidmandoo: If you have the first year of theCartographer's Annualinstalled, issue 12 of that, called somewhat opaquely "Create Your Own Style Pack", actually contains a set of CC3+ symbols for these classic map icons for drawing dungeons - the old "blue" or "grey" style of TSR D&D published map drawings - including that star-in-a-circle icon you described. You can see better what I meanhere. The free download symbol pack by John Bardales available on this linked page also contains a variant of this same symbol, even if you don't have that issue of theAnnualavailable.
    I checked that out as well Wyvern. That is what I will eventually go for, as I slowly accumulate the annuals. Getting up and running on this set me back a bit, so I am looking for as many free options as I can. Thank you though. This will be in my quiver in the future. -Sid