How to overlay a smokey filter?

Hello again. If I understand correctly, things like borders and labels can easily be turned off by hiding the sheet for those, right?
So what I want to do is have the ability to have an overlay of a large geographical area that follows borders that slightly obscures the land beneath with a smokey sort of haze (signifying mystery of the area over the last centuries).
I would like them to turn indistinct at the edges (less obscuring).
I would like to have this turn on and off with the political borders.
In a related note, I would like a separate sheet where I can make different areas follow different colors in the same manner, but be on it's own sheet. I imagine it's much the same process?
What is the best way to make these overlays?
Thanks!

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I know you want to call them overlays, but overlays don't really exist in CC3 terminology, so for the benefit of others who read this thread I will just call them sheets.

Create two new sheets - one for each job, and name them accordingly

On each sheet add an Edge Fade Inner sheet effect (the edge width of which you can adjust to taste later on).

Hide all sheets except the borders you want to follow (to hide any other nodes that just happen to be close to the borders like rivers and such), and the new sheet you are working on.

Now you can do the next bit one of several ways. If its not a lot of clicking you can just set your fill/colour if solid, pick the polygon tool from the toolbar on the right, turn Attach back on and click fairly close to each of the nodes on the borders to draw the shape you want.

The slightly more involved way is to make your own drawing tool so that you can use the Trace function to trace the borders rather than having to click each node separately. To do that you need to click the hammer and pencil button on the left near the top and Advanced at the bottom of the dialog that appears. Then click New and create your very own drawing tool. Most of the options are self explanatory. The tool will probably be most useful again in the future if you click the Properties button, and check the "Use current properties throughout" and delete anything in that text box at the bottom. Name your tool with your own unique name, and ok everything. On exiting the dialogs your new tool is immediately active and can be used straight away.

The advantage of using a drawing tool is that you can then use the Trace command. Explaining that is a little wordy, so I'm going to chicken out at this point and refer you to the excellent tutorial prepared some time ago now by a member known as Dogtag.

You can find the hyperlink in the "Interesting, Important and Helpful topics - Free Symbols, Resources, Tutorials & More" sticky thread at the top of the forum. Its easy to find ;)
  • Do you mean something like this?
  • ScattA, yes, sort of like that, though more of a forbidding color haze than a fog. I imagine that is just a matter of choosing the right color.
    I used Loopysue's suggestion, and I think I have a decent version. It might be improvable, but working for now.
    Here's what I've got:
  • edited November 2018
    hey, I Iive in the lost lands???? ;-)
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Jensen</cite>hey, I Iive in the lost lands???? ;-)</blockquote>

Time to win them back!
  • win back from whom? would you like to share a bit of the background?
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Jensen</cite>win back from whom? would you like to share a bit of the background?</blockquote>

Sure!
    I'm working on an alternate Earth where the timeline and universe split off when Atlantis sank, and in this one, Magic and Elves and Orcs and such all exist (though it's not a high magic setting- magic is rare, sorcerers are feared and mistrusted, etc.) Humans are the dominant species still, but there are far fewer of them, partly due to plagues, partly due to monster invasions. All the typical cultures exist in their normal locations (more or less), as they existed between the 5th and 10th centuries AD.
    In this timeline, the Franks were pushed west and the Western Roman Empire was overrun by monster races. Much of France, Germany, Italy and Eastern Europe are now called "The Lost Lands" and no one is really sure what is going on there, except that monsters roam the ruins of civilization and push at the boundaries of the remains of Human kingdoms. The Vikings are mainly in the Baltic area, Iceland and Greenland, with a colony in New Foundland.
    I'm a history buff, so I'm having a lot of fun re-imagining how history turns out up to this point. Some subtle changes, some drastic. Part of my goal is allowing a lot of cultural options. For instance, England is more like 6th Century England, so there are multiple small Celtic, Saxon and Angle kingdoms. Rome is now in the hands of hobgoblins and such, but the Eastern Roman Empire is where they were at about 1000 AD. Also, the Islamic states have expanded across north Africa and that sort of thing. But the players can explore Egyptian themed ruins in the Sahara, or Sumerian in Iraq, Samurai in Japan or Toltec in the Americas. That sort of thing.
    Non-human races are basically based in the areas they are culturally from, though some may have spread out. In some cases, this will involve having certain monsters more likely to find in certain areas. Elves in Europe, Djinni in the Arabian peninsula, Kelpies around Scotland, Dryads in the Mediterranean, that sort of thing.
    I also want to incorporate classic modules and some settings, like Lankhmar and Sanctuary from Thieve's World.
  • That sounds cool! Hobgoblins in Rome...
    What about the Religion? Which gods do you have?
  • And what about Ireland - united under the rule of Ard Ri Brian Boru, with prominent Elven bards? (I am an Irish descendant)
  • Now THIS sounds interesting, indeed.
  • Jensen,
    All the stuff from the old Deities and Demigods :)
    Basically the same as the cultures, but also Christianity and Islam.

Quenten, same here. Ireland is similar to what you said, but human population is low, and I am thinking that it will have the only organized Elven kingdom. Something like that, Tuatha de Danaan, sort of thing.

Lorelei, thanks!