Disaplying maps on a screen (Incremental) Software question :)

I love live interaction when playing but I also want to update to tech if possible. I am modifying a gaming table and installing laptop and second monitor laid in the center to display interactive content. I want to use maps I hope to create in CC3+ to display on the table screen. The laptop screen will be used to manage the game (as necessary) and control the 2nd map only screen . I don't see any feature (see viewer below) to display the maps incrementally so I am assuming this is an (amazing I might add) creation only tool and is capable of export (raster), print, and present in CC3 viewer.

What solutions do any of you use? I've tried to organize the questions below so you can answer them if you have the time. Printed documentation for CC3+ is apparently only available to users and I am not interested in watching hours of video to find a feature ;)
  1. Can I add grids to exported (raster) maps?
  2. Is there is a zoom feature in CC3 Viewer?
  3. Can I run simultaneous instances ofCC3 Viewer?
  4. What are the system requirements of CC3 viewer? I am trying to determine what types of system I should install for the table, I'd love to use a mini fanless PC work for this application but I bet it's processor intensive.
I've looked and many possible solutions and I'd love any comments from anyone who used any of these programs:

I can use Roll20 and import a CC3+ raster and use the R20 "dynamic lighting" and "fog of war" feature by displaying the content to a separate player account on the table monitor.

Has anyone used Fantasy Grounds or RealmWorks?

I'm going to vent... It seems to me developers of RPG software are not very good at the documentation (weird since RPG is basically only possible because of great documentation). Most (if existent) wikis are poorly organized and everyone seems to think we want to watch hours of videos.

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The CC3 viewer unfortunately does not work with CC3+ maps, you'll have to install CC3+ itself (But your license allows you to install it on up to three computers, so unless you are there already, it won't be any additional costs)

For your questions, the answers are exactly the same for CC3+ itself and the viewer though:

1. Yes. When you export from CC3+, it exports the current view of the map. If you have a grid there, the export will have one.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Base system requirements are really low, if it got a CPU and a gig of memory the program can run. But CPU speed greatly affects rendering speed, which is really important if your maps are effects-heavy.

Personally, I export grid-less images from CC3+ and import them into MapTool. I have a separate computer connected to a projector which runs as a player', and then use the maptool client in DM mode on my computer to manipulate the view of this one. I prefer this solution, because I don't need to do any visual UI stuff (like movinge a mouse, selecting things, etc) on the view screen, it just views. I did actually consider the same solution you are talking about here with a screen in the table, but after some consideration I found a projector was a better solution for me, since we usually end up with lots of stuff on the table.
  • Check out Epic Table.
    Just found that software and its looks really good.
    Have just tried out the trial so far, but its fast and easy to import maps made in CC3 and can add grids an the fly.
    We have used RealmWorks but feels its cumbersome to use when trying to show maps and FoW.
    With Epic Table you can easy make zones for FoW to reveal very easy. And its easy to reveal zones on the fly also.

And i really love your table if thats the one you have.
  • Epic Table videos can be found on youtube. He has been working on version 2 for about a year. I bought it, and its rather easy to work with, although I am still learning it.
  • I do exactly this except with a projector instead of a tv. Same same but different.

I don't recommend CC3+ for viewing the maps. It's not responsive enough on large complex maps.

I'm an avid user of Realm Works (i'm the guy who makes all the videos you don't have time to watch) but I don't recommend it for displaying the maps. Realm Works is designed for information management. I use it to link all my game maps together as it is much easier ot manage a game using the map as a navigation tool imo. It hosts everything I need when I'm running the game but it's not the best tool for displaying to the players imo.

For that I use MapTool. It's free and very efficient.
    You can add a grid to a map you export from CC3+ if required. Personally I prefer to export with a grid though and save the hassle.
    There is a zoom feature, simply mouse wheel in or out.
    You can run two copies of the program. One as a client and one as a server; on the same pc. This allows you to control what you see on your screen while the players only see what you want them to see.
    You can run it offline.
    You can run it in full-screen mode. This means the players don't see any UI they don't need to see. Roll20 for example is horrid for this.
    It's very efficient to hide and show sections of the map using the fog feature.
    It supports dynamic fog if that's something you are interested in.

RPG software is generally made by tiny teams. Their man power is already stretched in delivering the program updates. This is why (imo) there is limited documentation. They can't keep up with their own wants and expectations and then add the wants and expectations of the users. They simply focus their efforts where they will have the most impact. And then the community come along and provide the tutorials. Video tutorials are a very popular medium these days. ProFantasy is starting to explore this currently.

This is a diagram of my setup.
    A Map

This is how I use Realm Works. Navigating the content is much easier this way. Simply click a pin on the map to read about that area.
    A Map