thinking of changing map styles

Hmm... Now that i am employed again, I have little time to work on my maps. So I am hoping to come up with a method to finish the maps for the surface of my game world, with the spare time I have.

Much of my Crestar site has a large number of different surface map styles. Over 1,800 surface maps of 180 miles by 234 miles. I get confused by it. I am kinda sure visitors are bothered by it as well.

So, I am thinking about redoing Crestar's surface maps once again.

Using 2009 Annual Fantasy Worlds, April 2009, to make the continent maps.

Using 2009 Annual Fantasy Realms, February, 2009, to make mid-scale maps. Say nation or regional maps.

What do you think of this ?

Thanks.
Jim

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Well. I have to agree that your world is a bit confusing as it is now, and it is difficult to get a good overview of it, so redoing the maps might be a nice idea if you can find the time.
    The two styles you mention are both very nice, and also very well suited to the scales you list, so I believe you'll end up with a nice result.
  • Yeah, I got stuck in the '180 mile by 234 mile' overland maps from my use long ago of 5mm hexagon paper.

Hopefully, I can get the world map down to a much more managable, and easily viewable, size.
  • 10 days later
  • This starting to wear on my nerves.

I have tried several times to do this. Didn't work for me.

I have been thinking of importing small pngs of my surface maps and using that as a guide. Probably take me several weeks to do. I am about to just give up, I just don't have the time to do it.
  • Simon RogersSimon Rogers Administrator, ProFantasy Traveler
    Posted By: JimPI have been thinking of importing small pngs of my surface maps and using that as a guide. Probably take me several weeks to do. I am about to just give up, I just don't have the time to do it.
    That would be a shame because it is an excellent resource. If you maybe just did one section as an example, you could test the reaction.
  • I did try to use a screen dump of each web page, trim in Irfanview. Then convert to an Annual 28 map. I put 3 together, just couldn't get it to work.

New job, I am finally getting used to the effort and hours after being unemployed for over 2 years. I am not necessarily giving up completely, but I may have to wait until I have some leave time to work on it. But that wont be until next year.

You asked nicely Simon. I will try.
  • Congratulations on the new job! You must be very relieved.
  • Yeah, food stamps don't taste too good. Not benig sarcastic, that is what i lived on.

Day off today, I got some more dice, and I'll check into my maps. The world all pages extend too tall to show all of each page to do a screendump that shows all of each page. i have been thinking about making smaller web pages and screen dumping those. These will all be temporary and not uploaded to my web site.

I have been using Cosmo surface maps template, the wide rectangle of hexagons, to draw world maps for my sf worlds. My players like Crestar, so I wont be redoing it as a Cosmo surface map.

If anyone is interested in the sf worlds, not much info, I will post the urls to them.
  • 6 days later
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited March 2010
    World All 11 and World All 12

edit:

yeah, the 2 parts of the mountain range don't match in style. Working on that.

March 13, 2010: I can no longer find the test map i posted a link to here, I seem to have deleted it.
  • BidmaronBidmaron Traveler
    Jim, I have always been impressed with the volume of maps you have had on your site. While I'm not into hex mapping myself, your quantity of work has been inspiring. Good luck with the project. I know how you feel on the time.