Trying to export from FT3 to CC3+

Hello, I've imported the hi def data about Earth into FT3 and the map looks very good. I want to export it to CC3+, but that part doesn't seem to be going well. The program seems to hang.
I suspect it is because of the detail level. I tried exporting just coastline and that looked awful, especially when zooming in.

1) Can I crop the entire world to just sections, such as Europe?

2) Is there a better way to do this and get good resolution that I can use in CC3+?

Thanks!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Never had a problem with it hanging during export, it normally completes quite well.

1) Yes. FT3 exports the current view when you do a CC3 export, so just zoom into the area you want.

2) I like to use coastline only export. I always edit the export setting, and set the detail level to the maximum value. (Note that when editing the export setting, you MUST run FT3 by right clicking on the file/shortcut and selecting run as administrator, otherwise Windows will block the write preventing it from saving the setting. This is required even if you plan to use the setting imemdiately)
  • Hi Monsen,
    It wasn't a problem on export, it was a problem importing into CC3. That is where it hung.
    But your tips helped a lot, thank you!

One new question: It seems to export somewhat distorted, probably because it's going flat from a globe. Is there a way to fix that?
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Not sure I understand what you mean by distorted.

A screen shot of the FT3 map as seen in FT3, and the same again as opened in CC3 in a distorted fashion might help?

Neither app displays the world as 3D (unless you count the little globe widget thing in FT3, or the spin sequence export)
    The projection of the export should match the projection currently used in FT3, change the current projection to fix this. Of course, a sphere cannot be properly represented on a flat rectangle, so it is often an issue of finding the projection that works best for the area you want to export, and then export just that area.
  • Loopysue, it is a problem with projection, I think it just was magnified by exporting to CC3+. Not trying to do 3D.

Monson, thanks, I'll try playing with the projections before exporting again.

Now, just playing with the export I did, I get a white ocean with a plain green landmass. Is it possible to change it to look like the Mike Schley template and style?
    Thanks!
    edited November 2018
    Posted By: WriterSPNow, just playing with the export I did, I get a white ocean with a plain green landmass. Is it possible to change it to look like the Mike Schley template and style?
    Yes. The easiest is to start a new map in the Mike Schely style, then copy the landmass over using the clipboard, and then finally use change like draw tool on the imported landmass.
  • Hi Monsen,
    I'm making progress, thank you! But having a problem now with the "Change Like draw" tool. Here's what I've done so far:

1) Import hi-resolution data this link: https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global/relief/ETOPO1/data/ice_surface/cell_registered/binary/
    2) I use that to generate the world in FT3
    3) I zoomed in to view just Europe, North Africa and Western Asia and set the projection to Hammer.
    4) I exported that to CCW3+ as a single file, just coastlines
    5) I opened that new map in CCW3+
    6) I used the Info > Distance tool to measure the map top to bottom and left to right.
    7) I opened a new instance of CCW3 and created a new map based on the Mike Schley template and set the size to the same dimensions.
    8) Back to the 1st map, I used the copy button > right click to choose copy to clipboard option
    9) Back to the new map, I clicked paste and then tried to line up the ghosty outlines of the old map into the box of the new map.

It seems to have mostly worked. The scale seems correct and the water sections are the same as from the Mike Schley template, but the landmasses are still the same bright green as the original.
    I went to your link about the change like draw tool, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

1) I right clicked the "change properties" button and chose "change like draw tool" Nothing seems to happen except my mouse pointer now says "drawtool name [dialog]"
    2) I clicked the "Landmass" tool in the box to the right of it and now it wants me to start a polygon tool. If I do that, it just makes a new polygon over the existing map.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Posted By: WriterSP1) I right clicked the "change properties" button and chose "change like draw tool" Nothing seems to happen except my mouse pointer now says "drawtool name [dialog]"
    At this point, either type in the name of the drawing tool you want to use, or right click to bring up the drawtool dialog
  • edited November 2018
    Woohoo!! That worked, thank you!
    And then it crashed and all went away... When I reopened it, the changed landmass was there, but after a few seconds, the program closed again.
  • 'Save as' often... save as filename01, do some work, then save as filename02, etc. That works if your computer or CC3+ crashes you have the file.

And yes, Autosave can work to, but for me I find the above method works better for me.
  • Jim makes an excellent point. Autosave saves one save and saves on top of itself (correct me if I am wrong). By making routine backup saves you have the ability of reaching back farther and avoiding the oh no I just autosaved past the point I needed to go back to. I use this very same backup save strategy with every software product I use.
  • Yes, autosave saves over its last save. So if that becomes corrupted, or the hard drive goes thud !, no back up.

And I have several external USB hard drives. I save my entire web site folder to them, and my own map files, and any templates, etc. I have made to a folder on those drives.

That has saved me a number of times to as computers I no longer have lost drives or a motherboard.

Be careful about external drive cases where you add a hard drive. I bought one a few years ago, and it wiped the drive I put in it. It made backups, it wasn't for me to copy my old files to.