Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2018

I am doing this for the Cartographer Guild Lite Challenge. This is the beginning. We have to do a map using this island shape. I am borrowing the names from the Isle of Mull in the Hebrides - we had an amazing stay there, and Tobermory must be one of my favourite places.
      Island Competition.PNG
    Looking good, Quenten
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2018

I really like the jagged shoreline.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2018 edited

Good start there :)

My memory of Tobermory is sitting in the pub and watching a wild robin hopping around on the carpet picking up the crumbs. The carpet was one of those traditional red jobs with a crazy pattern on it, so he was really hard to see if he wasn't moving. You would think such a tiny creature would be far too terrified of all the noise and the giant feet stomping around the place, but not this robin!

About 5 hours later I saw another incredibly tame bird at the other end of the island. A finch came down to land on my wing mirror the moment I opened the window - begging for food.

I don't know what it is about Mull, but the birds there all seem to behave like they are part of the human population.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2018

My next step in progress. I intend to do another 2 settlement vignettes (and tidy up the ones I have done)
      Island Competition2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJensen

very nice, I am a big fan of such things!
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Its looking good :)

Have you considered smoothing out that coastline a bit in the bays and leaving only the headlands so heavily fractalized?
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

Coming along nicely, Quenten. I really like the vignettes :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2018

Next update - 2 vignettes and labelling of some natural features to go. I intend only to map the 'major' settlements (the largest is 1300 people). Can you let me know what can be improved, added to or deleted (though compliments are nice too)
      Island Competition3.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Smooth sweeping bays?

Can't see anything else :)
    • CommentAuthorJensen

How have you done the brown mountains? is this 13th age style?
    • CommentAuthorLorelei

i'm having a bit of hard time reading the labels - and i know it's not my aging eyes as i just got a brand new pair of glasses :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

About the labels, I agree - I think it is the offset shadowing. The mountains are Jon Roberts Overland.
    My plan is to finish the vignettes and work on the sea and further labelling (not too much, the frame and sidebar with info, and then fix the coast ala Sue's suggestion. Hopefully all in time for the guild competition. Should get a lot of it done today, and i will post update on both forums. i must say i find here more helpful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2018

Next iteration - vignettes and sea done, a bit more labelling and side bar for info, finally the coasts. Helpful comments please. Also, opinion about the coastal pattern. My wife is not so sure, I incline to keep it.
      Island Competition4.PNG
    • CommentAuthorJensen

I mean the small brown hills next to the fjord.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Mountains brown 3 bitmap from 13th Age annual. Meant to represent stony waste
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

My almost final version - coastline to fix, and anything else you think.
    Large version
      Island Competition5.PNG
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Also - do you prefer waves on or off
      Island Competition waves off.PNG
    I think I prefer the waves off, but I am not entirely sure.
    • CommentAuthorScottA

I like the waves but I think it might make it too busy. The labels are sort of tough to read. Maybe a different font or slightly larger?
    You can add a glow to the text to make it stand out from the background.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Waves on for me, but only if the coastline is smoother in the bays. That would resolve the business.

The font is very spiky - a traditional or old fashioned serifed font (little spiky bits on all the corners). I'm not keen on non-serif fonts because they look too modern and remind me too much of OS maps (Helvetica). But there are some serifed fonts that aren't as spiky as that one, and which have thicker strokes. I think that particular font is a bit too spiky and a bit too spidery.

Also a very subtle pale glow wouldn't go amiss, but be very careful you don't overdo it. I don't mean transparent, but just fading out really fast.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I.. er… really don't like that title font. It looks horribly blurred and messed up, in such a way that its like you've typed two lines on top of one another on an old type writer.
    I think the blue font against the blue background is part of the problem.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2018 edited

I think it may be a bit too florid to suit the purpose here.

I much prefer the first option.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Waves at the coastline, inlets, etc. fine by me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

The fonts are easy to read in the large version (link above), but at the resolution here, I agree it is not too easy. Adding more of a glow looks OK at this resolution, and horrid at the larger. So I go with what looks better at the larger.
    I think the blue font is quite easy to read (just on title.s and titles of vignettes) - the other text on the map is black. I also take the point about the font for the title, and will hunt for one better. The Middle Ages font I rather like, Sue's comments notwithstanding.
    I agree with Sue about the coastline, which I mentioned was the last thing left to do. Finally, I think I will keep the waves, despite varied opinion. Either way, whether i have agreed or not, this is exactly the feedback i really want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2018

I have fixed the coastline to my satisfaction, and changed the title font. The rest I am keeping as is, but thanks anyway for the output since it made me think about the issues raised. This will be the final version for the Cartographer Guild competition; can anyone think of where i could put it in the Atlas - it is about 100 miles long.
      Island Competition6.PNG
    The coastline is much improved. Nice map, Quenten.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

That is definitely much better - more natural looking than when it was all the same lumpiness all around.

And the title is a huge relief! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

Hope you all got the Air-Fire-Water-Earth motives on the border. used the MS symbols
    • CommentAuthorJensen
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2018

Cool map, my favorites are the town labels and the 4 symbols in the corners!
    • CommentAuthorrobotrock
    • CommentTime7 days ago

This is a nice map - I really like the vignettes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten
    • CommentTime2 days ago

The final version of Llum, for insertion in the about to be delivered Atlas Map of Sophos region in Kentoria.
      Llum.PNG
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Another great map for the Atlas, Quenten :)
    • CommentAuthorScottA
    • CommentTime1 day ago

One of your best, Quenten. I really like it.