Update 19 available

We've fixed the problem with wall-cutting symbols in verion 3.87. Please download and install Update 19 from your registration page to apply the fix.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Thank you so much, Ralf :D
  • There must be something wrong with it, as it DIDN'T trigger my antivirus software when I ran it! Oh, scratch that, as it did AFTER it had installed!!! Presumably the joy of yet another Win 10 "update" slowing everything to the point of hands-and-knees crawling...
    I don't seem to have that problem with the built in Win 10 AV (Windows Defender). Is that what you are using, Wyvern, or is it an additional AV?
  • I only use Avast antivirus Sue; I don't trust Win Defender...
    Its not let me down at all over the last 18 months. The only part of Win 10 I actually like...
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited October 2018
    Have to agree with Sue here, Windows Defender has always been extremely reliable for me, and it is the AV I've just that is both least noisy and causes the least system slowdowns. It is generally doing very well in independent tests too. I've tried Avast a couple of times, and never really liked it (although I'l admit it is far better than a lot of the other offerings out there). And with Windows Defender, I've never had to disable it even once to install something, it just works.
  • I dumped AV, and dislike Defender. I have PCMatic.
  • The Internet is definately slow for me today. My connection always worked well, until the Net Neutrailty laws were done away with. Now I have problems downloading, and sometimes not.

Currently stuck at 16 minutes left for around 30 minutes. 79.6 megs done out of 162 megs. Failed, restarting. I may wait until later in the day and try again. Seems to be working at 27 minutes left...
    I use Internet Download Manager. The update was downloaded in about 3 minutes from start to finish. I think it uses multiple threads - 2 for each processor, including all your virtual processors. So with 2 actual processors and 2 virtual ones I get things downloaded 4-8 x as fast as if I didn't use it.

I've had it for a few years now, so I can't remember exactly how much it costs, but I think you get a 30 day free trial if you are ever desperate to get something like this sorted out quickly.
  • My ISP... I should be getting 100 megabits, which is about 12 megabytes. I was getting 100 kilobytes with 'surges' up to 200 kilobytes.
    edited October 2018
    I have no idea what this means, but I just ran a test on mine and it came out as 7.29 megabits (or should that by megabytes... I get really confused by all these bits and bytes) per second. I was also informed that this was fairly normal for the UK, and that the server was 'London'.

If my humble little wi-fi dongle is comparable with other people's hi-tech hardwire broadband (for which they pay about twice as much), I'm fairly pleased about it.

But I still don't know how that compares to yours, or how long it would take you to download and install IDM or an equivalent piece of software, and then update 19.
  • It means my download speed was about a tenth of what we are paying for. Seems to be working better today.
  • Posted By: LoopysueI have no idea what this means, but I just ran a test on mine and it came out as 7.29 megabits (or should that by megabytes... I get really confused by all these bits and bytes) per second. I was also informed that this was fairly normal for the UK, and that the server was 'London'.
    A "bit" is a single 1 or 0 (i.e. a digital on or off, think Morse code). A 'byte' is a single digit (letter or number) and is typically defined with 8 bits. If abbreviated properly mb (or Mb) is mega-bit and mB (or MB) is mega-byte.

Not that it really matter (nor should it) for most people.

And if you want to be further annoyed or confused... k is for kilo, which means a 1000 right? yea, no. 1KB is actually 1024 bytes. and them when you start worrying about Gigs and tera and peta bytes... yea, ugh!
    LOL!

I'm just happy that my bb is considered to be 'normal', or 'average' for where I live - especially when everyone looks at me as if I'm mad for not having a mainline phone in the house and a cable connection. Truth is I don't see why I should pay £30 a month just to have something before I even use the thing (they call it 'line rental').