Discord

Are the developers thinking about starting a "discord channel" that would allow people to meet and exchanges ideas or even put on classes, I do not know if anyone here is aware of a program called "Fantasy Grounds", its is a VT, but what is great is that some people started a Fantasy Grounds College on discord thats brings the players together for classes where people can sign up, listen and watch people explaining how to run or play in a game, I was just thinking with all the wealth of knowledge here it would be great to get into a live class where someone would actually show how to make some of these great maps and promote this product. I have been in several of these discussions and showed people the maps and dungeons I have made using CC3+ and Dungeon Designer. Just a thought.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I've tried using Discord before, and it really doesn't work for me. I tried the Cartographer's Guild Discord and abandoned it fairly quickly.

The main issue I have with it is the way it just swallows broadband like there's no tomorrow. I am on metered broadband which is dirt cheap, but only as long as I don't run over the 20GB limit in any one month. I also didn't find it really added anything to all the other online media already available, like YouTube tuts and FB groups.

The worst thing, though (for me personally) was they way it started messing with my autism in such a way that I wasn't able to properly concentrate on the task in hand because there was just too much going on simultaneously - too many rapid fire exchanges and distractions. To much information to process - something I have to do by conscious effort because I lack the automatic mental filters neurotypicals are born with, and which they take so absolutely for granted.

Discord made me feel like I was trying to watch the TV, listen to the radio, and draw a masterpiece while explaining my techniques AND the terminology I was using to describe them all at the same time. It totally did my head in, and was about as useful for me as trying to study transcendental meditation in the middle of a New Year's party at midnight in the noisiest nightclub in the universe.

However - that really is a very personal opinion. I just wanted you to know that I would be avoiding it like the plague for genuine reasons that are nothing to do with being old-fashioned or snobbish :)
  • AircopAircop Newcomer
    ok then, well just a thought as I have seen how well it is working, should look at the classes and how they run them, it is different people showing how to use it, not an attack of the senses as it were, just a laid back show and tell as it were, I enjoy it and have learned a lot from the various people who donate their personal time for free to help promote the game
  • FG College is awesome. But it requires several very dedicated volunteers to set it up and a bunch of other volunteers to make it successful.

I will also add that as an informational source, Discord, imo is pretty poor. Discussions get lost pretty quickly etc. But, it is a good social and organizational platform and works well for actually conducting classes.

Have you checked out the CC FaceBook group? The discussion is fairly active (and it has the same problem as Discord when it comes to info) BUT, it has a section called Units, which one of the folks over there has put together a bunch of training materials for. Not live classes, but from what I've heard it's well done; https://www.facebook.com/groups/CC3plus/learning_content/
    Aircop - I wasn't saying it was a bad thing for anyone but me ;)

I give a lot of my time to mapping and making things for others, both free and paid. I just can't use that particular interface to do it.
  • I don't have the time, and me talking iswell not good. I tend to wander off subject.

But I can type up a tutorial. I may do that.
  • AircopAircop Newcomer
    thank you for your comments and thoughts, understand Loopy
  • edited November 2018
    I would second the benefit of a discord channel provided to the community.

NOT difficult to set up. OR maintain. Why not set it up and see? Have a section for people to sign up as Mods, Staff, or Aides, and just see? Can't hurt?

I know the benefit I have received from FGC (Fantasy Grounds College) over on Discord. I am taking a class tomorrow AND another on Friday morning. IT has been a tremendous help, and as "complicated" as Fantasy Grounds can be, CC3+ is exponentially more complex/powerful.

It would appear that having a Discord for a program like this is a perfect match and would literally take ONE person maybe 30 min to create.

The real question is Why wouldn't you have a Discord for Pro Fantasy Campaign Cartographer 3+?
  • Posted By: Flyndad123
    The real question is Why wouldn't you have a Discord for Pro Fantasy Campaign Cartographer 3+?
    The arguments against are:

If there's any traffic at all, somebody from Profantasy needs to keep an eye on it, especially if it's in any way official. It is foolish to the point of being hazardous to one's reputation not to. This takes time.

And the more social media venues there are, the more diluted each one becomes. Instead of everyone being in one place, you've got some here, some there, some over yonder. This means that new users looking for help have to look in that many more places, and that can be discouraging.

These are not automatically compelling arguments, of course. Many companies maintain multiple social media presences successfully. But there are potential downsides to be considered.
    You were reading my mind, Taustinoc, but I decided not to say it myself because I've already made other points that are more personal to me in particular

I can't say what the situation really is since I'm not part of the team. I just do commission artwork and articles from time to time when invited to do so, but I feel pretty sure that if the capacity to monitor this and to be sufficiently involved was available within the PF Team, then the PF Team would have set it up themselves already and we wouldn't be having this conversation.