Exporting Map Problem. File location issue.

So it seems the only place I've been able to export my little tavern map as a JPEC Bitmap file is within the ProgramData/Profantasy/CC3+ folder. Everytime I try to export to the documents folder I get an error:

"Unable to open temporary BMP file C:\Users\emtwi\OneDrive\Documents\D and D\Maps\CC3+ and Dungeon Designer 3\Map Projects\Tavern Run.JPG.bmp"

1) Is there a way to get it to save to that area of my computer, or do I always have to export it to the Program Data folder?

Comments

• I do a Save As and save my maps to C:\Profantasy\CC3Plus\user_folder_like_my_web_sites_list

For example: C:\Profantasy\CC3Plus\crestar02\

crestar is the planet I named for my ad&d game world.

I only checked one map, but if you have your fcw files in the folders like I posted above, and load a map from there, you save to the same folder.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You are trying to save it to your Documents folder... on your OneDrive... which is remote cloud storage and slower than watching paint dry.

Maybe if you try to save to the documents folder on your local machine instead the problem will resolve itself?
    The location of your local Documents folder is usually something like this on a Windows machine (this is the path to my own local Documents folder)

C:\Users\Sue\Documents

Notice how there is no mention of 'OneDrive' in that path. OneDrive is located on some distant server, and not on your machine.

I can also confirm that contact with the OneDrive servers from the UK isn't really all that great. Sometimes OneDrive is there, and sometimes it isn't.

I would recommend saving your renders locally, and then backing them up to your OneDrive later as a separate action.
  • Or back up to an external drive or thumb drive. Saw a 64 gig thumb drive for $20 recently. Wow.
  • edited October 2018
    @LoopySue

That is weird. I have no idea why it was trying to run that path as I don't even use OneDrive.

At least I think I don't :/
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: JimP</cite>I do a Save As and save my maps to C:\Profantasy\CC3Plus\user_folder_like_my_web_sites_list

For example: C:\Profantasy\CC3Plus\crestar02\

crestar is the planet I named for my ad&d game world.

I only checked one map, but if you have your fcw files in the folders like I posted above, and load a map from there, you save to the same folder.</blockquote>

I've only just started with this program, so I don't have a lot of stuff built up in the folders, so I'll probably just move them over to the CC3Plus folder.

Thanks for your help.
  • <blockquote><cite>Posted By: Loopysue</cite>You are trying to save it to your Documents folder... on your OneDrive... which is remote cloud storage and slower than watching paint dry.

Maybe if you try to save to the documents folder on your local machine instead the problem will resolve itself?</blockquote>

So strange. Even though I have steadfastly not established the OneDrive set up, it created it anyway, and is saving files in both locations even though I've never even signed into the outlook account I set up when I built my computer and put Windows 10 on.

I was getting an AVG warning when trying to save, and it looks like once I allowed the application through, I am saving just fine.....to both my C: drive and I guess to Bill Gates' kindle. lol.

Thanks for your help LoopySue
    You're welcome :)

As things start to settle in your mind with experience you will see that it is better to save things in your local document folder than in the Profantasy folders. This keeps them neatly separate from the software files.

Win 10 has a mind of its own, and its creators believe that they know best how everything should be done, which results in these unexpected outcomes from the point of the view of the user. If I had known it was going to be quite so dictatorial and 'teacher knows best' with me, I would have stuck with my Win 8.1

I don't save anything directly to OneDrive. I only ever manually upload stuff there when I want to share it with someone. Otherwise it can get extremely expensive in terms of broadband consumption if you happen to be on metered broadband as I am.

(The quote system doesn't seem to be working for you. I think (but I may be wrong) that you have to check the Html radio button at the bottom of the comment you are composing for it to work properly)
  • Posted By: LoopysueYou're welcome :)

(The quote system doesn't seem to be working for you. I think (but I may be wrong) that you have to check the Html radio button at the bottom of the comment you are composing for it to work properly)
    Learning new things everyday.....;)
    That's good :)

One thing I thought of in the middle of the night - if you didn't realise you were saving to the OneDrive account you didn't think you had (because that's where your computer was set to save them by a default you never asked for), it might be wise to check and see just how much you haven't got in your own PC's Documents folder. If there's nothing there, and all your work is on OneDrive instead, you could be in for a nasty shock next time OneDrive is inaccessible for more than 24 hours - like it was a couple of weeks ago in the southern part of the UK.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I think you misunderstand a bit how OneDrive works Sue. The OneDrive folder on your computer isn't an online-only thing. When you save something to it, you are still saving to your local drive, doesn't slow anything down at all, but quite soon after saving said file, OneDrive will sync that saved file with the cloud, but the local copy will remain and this is just as fast to access as any other local files. This local copy is always accessible, even if your PC is disconnected from the internet (or OneDrive itself is down). What won't be available (unless you've explicitly told OneDrive to sync it) in that scenario is files you've saved to OneDrive from other computers, since by default OneDrive will only keep in sync files you've either created or accessed on the current computer. (If your computer is running low on disk space, it may also set files you haven't used in a long time to online-only status).
    Only real downside of saving to the OneDrive folder is the internet usage that follows, as it can eat up metered connections or generally use your bandwidth when you want it yourself, but that is common for all these cloud drives, like dropbox and google drive, etc... And of course if you have privacy concerns around having a file uploaded to cloud storage.
    You're right - I didn't get the synchronisation thing.

I think you can turn that off. I remember turning something off when I initially decided not to use it because of the broadband issue. I get 20GB a month at £13 a month (which is about half the price other people pay because that's it - all in - no line rental or anything), but the moment I go over that 20GB line I pay per MB in what feels like life-blood.

So for me it behaves like a separate thing. If I decide to save something there it doesn't save on my C drive because there's no synchronisation because I turned it off.

I think that's why my perception of it is possibly so very different.