The "@" symbol in tutorials

I am just getting my feet wet and going through The Tome of Ultimate mapping. It frequently references data locations with an "@" symbol.

For example in the symbol import section it says: "Create a new folder under @Symbols\User and put your image files inside it."

I cannot find this area on my hard drive. My files have been checked so they are not hidden.

It uses this language throughout the tutorial for finding maps to copy etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sid

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited October 2018
    The Symbols folder is located within the CC3 Plus folder.

If you used the default settings during installation the actual location with be here:

C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols

There is no folder called @Symbols. I think this is being used to indicate that Symbols is within other folders, but I'm not sure.
  • Ah, I was only looking in Program Files (x86). Thank you. I think I am in business now. -S
  • The @ symbol represents the location of the CC3+ data folder on your system. Sue just gave you the default location of C:\ProgramData\Profantasy\CC3Plus. During installation you were given the option of changing the location. The @ is a shortcut to the actual location.

I hope I explained it in a way that makes sense.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I recommend you read the chapter 'Files and File Paths' on page 11 and 12 of the tome. It explains how all this is connected.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    For the extremely lazy, in Windows 10 you can pin the C:\ProgramData\ProFantasy\CC3Plus folder to your Quick Access area by dragging it to the Quick access area in Windows Explorer. Then you can very quickly get to that location from anywhere, including from within file open dialogs in CC3+. It's like a shortcut, but always there.

Windows 7 has libraries, which can be used in much the same way.

Of course, if you're not frequently accessing the ProFantasy folders, this tip may not be useful for you because it leaves that item in the Quick access all of the time.