Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorBlakey
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2018

I just ran the Update18.exe for CC3+ and since then anytime I try and press the "Add Room" button CC3+ crashes. I've re-run the Update twice.

Any ideas on what to try next to fix this?

Thanks
    Blakey
    • CommentAuthorShessar

It is not just you Blakey. I also get a crash when adding a new room in DD3. I haven't tested anything beyond this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Strange. I don't seem to be able to reproduce myself, but I've alerted ProFantasy.
    • CommentAuthorjslayton

Do you get the same sort of crash with the "Add Corridor" menu item (CORRIDOR command for those who are more comfortable typing than clicking)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorQuenten

I'm not having a problem with either commands
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018

Me neither.

I don't suppose this is anything to do with different kinds of AV interfering with the process of installation, is it?

I always install as Administrator, but I usually don't bother turning off my AV these days. Its just unnecessary hassle when Win 10 Defender doesn't seem to cause any problems with PF installers, but maybe with all the recent changes in firewalls and such this is actually becoming more of a problem?

Just guessing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalf

If you check the files Dungeons.dll and XPDD2.dll in c:\Program Files (x86)\Profantasy\CC3Plus, which file date do they have?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

19/10/18 (UK date style) in both cases for me - and no problems with crashing.
    • CommentAuthorShessar

Joe, the corridor command works fine. The room command works now also. I'm not sure if it is because my system has been restarted since yesterday or some other reason. Yesterday, clicking the room button caused an immediate crash to desktop. Today (after trying the corridor command) it works as expected.

Ralf, both file dates are from October 19.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Blakey - when you did the install did you just keep the window open and carry on working? I automatically close the one that opens up at the end of each installation and reopen it to get my own file back. I'm wondering, after what Shessar just said, if that makes the difference?
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

After a reboot of my PC thinks seem to have settled down... Will continue to test and will report if I hit another crash.

Thanks
    Blakey
    I am also have several issues with the update. I have to reset by tools with SELBYD every time I start up, and when I put a window or door in the autocut removes from the end of the door to the end of the section of wall removing half of the rooms wall.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2018 edited

Have you done a reboot since installing he update, Kieron?

Asking because that seemed to solve the problem for Shessar, Blakey and also someone else over at the Guild - that's all of the three people who have mentioned this on either forum.
    Hi Loopysue

Yes I have tried several reboots, I have fixed the selection issue but still having the problem withthe auto cut.

Regards

Kieron Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2018 edited

The issue with the cutting symbols has been reproduced by the developer and will be fixed for the next update.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2018

Don't worry, Kieron. Profantasy are seriously on the ball about these things. Going on past experience I don't think you will be waiting for very long ;)
    I have found Ralf exceptional at coming back to me and sorting problems. I have full faith.

:)
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Ditto to the cutting problem. And I'm still getting the occasional crash - very hard to say what I did to reproduce the crash though, sorry.

Blakey
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

I have a reproducable sequence to generate a crash:

1. Create a map using City Designer.
    2. Press the 'Dungeon Menu' button - this flicks all the left hand buttons into 'Dungeon Designer' mode
    3. Press the 'Add Room' button.

This consistently crashes for me and is a right pain.

I think I can solve my Battlemap woes by being able to start the map off as a City Designer map and then flip into Dungeon Designer for things like buildings. Should this be possible?

Thanks
    Blakey
    • CommentAuthorpvernon

That did not cause a crash for me.

Win 7 pro with all products loaded, and beta update 18.
    • CommentAuthorJimP

Mine is working fine so far, Win 10.
    • CommentAuthorVastin
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2018

when is a patch for the cutting problem to be expected?

it is not very pleasant when you want to create a dungeon and each time disappear parts of the walls when you set a door :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2018 edited

Seems like the crashes when trying to add a room or corridor is related to a corruption of the DD3 configuration file for some users.
    As a workaround, you can remove this file
    1. Open up your CC3+ data directory in Windows File explorer. The default path (unless you specified something else in the installer) is c:\ProgramData\ProFantasy\CC3Plus [NOT to be confused with c:\Program Files (x86)\ProFantasy\CC3Plus]. You can also open it from inside CC3+ by typing OPENDOC @ on the command line and hit enter)
    2. Find the file DD3PlusCfg.xml and either delete it, or rename it to DD3PlusCfg_old.xml
    3. Start CC3+, hopefully everything is good. CC3+ will generate a new DD3PlusCfg.xml file the next time you make any settings in the room dialog, the only downside to deleting this file is that the current room/corridor settings are lost
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Hi Monsen,

I just did what you said. Mine still crashes. It's even worse now as I can cause it to fail like this:

1. Open CC3+
    2. New Dungeon.
    3. Default settings
    4. Click "Add Room"
    5. Crashes.

Utterly repeatable.

Very annoyed as I have a night off and 6 hours to build maps (which is HUGELY rare for me) and the software is broken. :(

Next effort is to uninstall and reinstall everything...

Blakey
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

If you go through all the stages of uninstalling and reinstalling everything (which doesn't actually take all that long), and if you still have update 17a in your download folder, maybe take it that far only until we get notified of a fix?

I will just be waiting for the fix, but then I'm not trying to map a dungeon tonight.
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

The crashes are what are the most frustrating for me. Anyway, I've done a complete uninstall, cleaned out all the left over files and registry entries. I'm now starting the reinstall. And yes, I think stopping at Update 17a makes sense to me as that was at least (mostly) stable.

Will let you know if it works in a short while.

Blakey
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Good luck :)

You should be fine as long as you remember to follow the installation instructions, switch off AV and install as Administrator.
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

So, I tried it and Upgrade 17a got errors and the crash was still there. :( Then I read your comment about "switch off AV and run as Admin". Ah! Well, I didn't know that (yes, I'm crap at reading the instructions).

So I have just switched off AV and am installing as Admin. Let's hope this makes everything rosey!
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Update 17a is still erroring (it didn't first time around when I originally downloaded it). A bit frustrating.

Worst thing is that I can still recreate the crash. :( Now I am really stuck.

Blakey
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

And install in the right order?

- CC3+ first, then 17a (in your case)
    - All add-ons, symbol sets etc
    - re-run 17a
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Okay - that's also not what I did. :)

Attempt number 3!

(THANKS HEAPS FOR THE ONGOING HELP!!)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

LOL!

I really hope it works!
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

So this time I installed CC3+ (went fine, as Admin with AV off).
    Then tried to install Update 17a and got repeated errors:

I'm really finding this a struggle...

Blakey
      Capture2.PNG
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Anyway, I am carrying on installing in case this does not matter...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Ummm…

Not seen that before.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Crash still happening. Feeling like I have something screwed up somewhere which is causing this to happen even with the complete uninstall.
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Can you get some sort of dodgy config in a saved map?

Reason I ask is that if I just go and create a new dungeon I can now use Add Room. But if I first open an old map and then start a fresh dungeon, Add Room crashes.

Weird...
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

I don't understand it any better than you, Blakey.

But if you can do what you want to do with a new map, I would recommend starting a new map.

I don't even know enough to be able to say if the flaw would be transmitted to a new map if you were just to copy the polys and symbols from the old one and paste them into a new blank map.

Sorry!
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

It's just crashing everywhere now. I have no idea what is going on. Reinstalled to a new location on a different disk (though you do not get asked if you want to put the Program Files part in a new location). Still crashing.

So much for a relaxing evening building maps!
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Is there anywhere I can get a fresh copy of Update 17a.exe?
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Sorry. Can't help you there.

If it was working ok before update 18 I don't think its your copy of 17a that's the problem.

This is the sort of issue I'm really not very good at helping with - once it gets into the seriously technical minutiae.

Someone once said that you can't uninstall an update. If you check to see if 18 is still installed despite uninstalling CC3+, is it still there in the list of apps that Windows give you?
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Update 18 never arrived as an "update" in windows (17a did but has since been uninstalled)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Are you saying that you once installed 18, but that it never showed up in Windows register of installed software?
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Yeah. That's correct.
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

And I can't get Update 17a to install now - error posted above.
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Oh gosh, you're right. I have 18 installed (I said I was going to wait for the fix earlier so I just left it as it is) but its not on the list of installed apps as far as Windows is concerned. I think I've always seen the most recent update listed there.

Remy (or Joe ?) - should 18 be listed as an app like 17a is here on my screen shot? I installed 18 but its not showing that I have.
      apps and features.jpg
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

FWIW, I have reverted to installing just CC3+, CD and DD. No updates. As that stands it appears to work and I can now build a dungeon and add rooms. It appears (for the last 10 minutes) to be stable.

I'm sticking with this for now!!!!

Many thanks Loopysue - you have been extremely helpful!

Blakey
    •  
      CommentAuthorMonsen

Posted By: LoopysueRemy (or Joe ?) - should 18 be listed as an app like 17a is here on my screen shot? I installed 18 but its not showing that I have.
    No. It is just an oversight that 17 is there as well. Updates shouldn't be listed because they aren't separate apps, and they cannot be uninstalled (uninstalling an update would remove several critical CC3+ files and basically destroy your installation)
    • CommentAuthorLoopysue

Thanks Remy!

Blakey - I'm glad that you finally managed to get down to some serious mapping.

Its not good to run on out of date software though, so maybe catch up with the updates once there's a published fix for this latest one ;)
    • CommentAuthorBlakey

Yeah, update 18a is the plan. ;)