How to copy and inport a map

Hi would like to know how to copy a old FR Atlas map and inport it to CC3

Comments

• Save as png or bmp in FR Atlas, then import. The Draw menu is where 'import file' is located.

You should use a template, or just draw an area on the map border area, that is the same size as the miles by miles, or kilometers by kilometers, you are importing.

Use 0,0 ( zero comma zero) for the lower left corner. Hold down the shift key and move the mouse pointer to the upper right corner of the map border. Then click with the left mouse button.

If you cannot export as bmp or png, export however you can. Use Irfanview, a free program, to convert it.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited April 2009
    uh, JimP.. That sounds needlessly complicated given that FR atlas map are already in CC2 format.

The FR Atlas maps are in a Maps subdirectory in your installation location (If you did a full install, otherwise they are on the CD) of the FR Atlas. If you wish to copy them out, just use windows explorer to copy the files (.fcw files). Then just open these files in CC3 just as with any other map file. They should display immediately without you having to do anything.
    If you want to take advantage of CC3's sheet effect, use the "CC2 to CC3 conversion" option in CC3's file menu to convert it. This will move entities to appropriate sheets, allowing you to assign sheet effects. But you do not need to do this just to open it up and do basic editing in CC3.
    CC3 steals the .fcw extension automatically, so just double clicking on the map files should also bring them directly up in CC3.
  • Maybe I just need more sleep ?

I had forgotten that FR Atlas was in CC2.
  • After conversion all I get is the maps with water and symbos no land mass. How do i ixs this.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    The conversion process bases the conversion on which layer the entities currently reside on to try to convert it to CC3. Unfortunately, this doesn't always work perfectly (Usually because the map was drawn using nonstandard layers). Most probably your landmass is on a sheet below the sea, and therefore hidden by it. You basically have three options:
    - Don't convert the map. You won't be able to use sheet effects (Since everything i on one sheet), but the map is still fully usable and editable. CC3 has no problems using the CC2 format maps directly.
    - Identify the problematic entities and manually move them to the correct sheet. For example, the sea should be moved to the "sea" sheet.
    - Convert the map manually, by creating whatever sheets you think you'll need, and then move the entities manually to their new sheets.
  • edited April 2009
    Howw do i manually move the entities from one sheet to another or form one layer to another.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    For sheets: use the "Move to Sheet" command, available by right-clicking the Sheets & Effects button or from the Tools > Sheets menu.

Use "Change Layer" to change the layer of an entitiy. Available from right-clicking the "Change Properties" button.

"Change Properties" can do both in one go.

Hope that helps!