Map dimensions

I have another noobie question. I imported an FT map into CC3. How do I determine the map's dimensions?

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Best option would be to measure it wit the Info -> Distance tool. If you need perfect accuracy, measure the the map border, and use the endpoint modifier to ensure you measure it exactly from end to end.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    The basic dimensions are contained in FT3, in the settings panel - circumference refers to the distance around the equator.

If you are looking to stick some kind of scale bar on the map, that's a little difficult.

The problem is that a global map projection usually doesn't have any kind of constant scale because the map is a sphere squashed flat into whatever shape the projection is that you have used. There will always be different scales all over the map. Sometimes there will be absolutely massive differences with every few degrees of latitude (especially bad with Mercator and Equirectangular maps, where the poles are extended to the point of infinity), and sometimes it will be different if you move in any direction at all (like the way the scale quickly becomes ginormous towards the outer reaches of some azimuthal projections, or squished into concentric rings around the edge of the map where the globe has been pressed into a circular design in much the same way you might press a dried flower).

This is why most maps of the world (the Earth) usually only give a scale at the equator, or show some kind of fancy funnel design in an attempt to express the scale at different latitudes.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    And there I go making a very big assumption that you have exported an entire world :P
  • Thanks! I exported just a portion of the planet. I can work with the distance tool in CC3 and compare it to the area in FT. Right now my biggest struggle is handling scale with the terrain, my results aren't matching those of the samples from the community project.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Are you talking about the terrain fills here? You can change the scale of fills by clicking the fills tyle indicator, go to the bitmap files tab, select the fill in question, and change the scaling under the values for 'Scaled' at the bottom of the dialog.