Exporting Maps to CNC?

How hard would it be to export the CC3/CC3+ map files to CAM software?

I have minor experience with CC3/CC3+ and even less with CAM software/CNC operation (I have access to a CNC router though no hands on experience).

However, one of the first things I thought of when I realized that CC3/CC3+ is CAD software was getting my game maps milled in relief.

Is this a pipedream or would this be possible?

Comments

• Yea it's possible. I've never done it with CC, but I have with other CAD programs.

A lot depends on what you mean by "in relief". The easiest would be a single depth relief level that would trace your poly lines with a cutter. But, on the CAM side you could do a lot more and mill out entire areas, define multiple elevations, etc.

In short, your map is going to look best engraved if you have already decided what you want it to look like and "design" it accordingly in CC.

Google has some examples and even some how to that you will probably want to check out.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    I don't have any knowledge about the field, but generally, it depends on what you want to export.

CC3+ does support exporting to autocad formats, so if the CAM software can import that, it is possible.
    That said, such exports only include the basic shapes, lots of information is lost in the export, such as raster fills, raster symbols and effects. Generally, after exporting to autocad, you are only left with the basic outlines, no export exists that would make the map appear in autocad just as it does in CC3+.