Displaced map edge

I have a map that I made in Mercator Template, by tracing a bitmap. Windows XP, CC3. I've nearly finished it, but have run into a problem.

I am trying to add a patch of colour (default terrain), and the edge of the map seems to have been displaced onto the drawing area. The map edge entity is still in its place, but I can only make the default features appear on half of my map. (Imagine a map. Colour the right-hand half green. That's the half I can draw on with default tools. If I try to colour the whole map green, I get a forced stop at that edge, like the usual sort of clip for going outside a border.)

The drawing tools on the right hand side of my screen work as they should.

Comments

• bearclawbearclaw Traveler
    Sounds to me like your bitmap is twice the size of the drawing surface. I'm not sure if an existing canvas can be resized but if so, then doubling the pixel width should take care of that.

Failing that, try creating a new map to import your bitmap into. Select "Decide Settings Myself" and enter your pixel width/highth double what the template has. Or some other value that works for you that fits the aspect ratio of your bitmap.
  • Thank you for answering, Bearclaw.

I should have mentioned and failed to - I didn't have this problem earlier. I have default mountain colour elsewhere on the map. I've deleted the bitmap, but I can't recall if I had any success with default terrain afterwards. I think I got rid of it pretty early on, as it was just a set of coastlines.

The bitmap when I put it in was sized by hand to the map edges, however. So at some point it was correct.

I have opened a couple of other symbol catalogues, but I haven't opened any other templates since I started.

I can't see a way of changing the canvas size, either in the help files, or in the toolbars, having now looked. It's possible I've missed something, though.

It seems to me that the drawing window has changed size, and I need to change it back again. Does that make sense?
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Drawing tools are bounded by entities on the "Map Border" layer.

Open up your layers dialog, select the "Map Border" layer, then hide all the other layers. This will allow you to see clearly all the entities on this layer. Make sure that there are no entities on this layer in the middle of your map, as they will then act as bounding entities, preventing you from drawing past them. This layer should only contain a [square] border around the entire map area, and nothing in the middle, or outside the main border.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited March 2009
    Posted By: bearclawSounds to me like your bitmap is twice the size of the drawing surface. I'm not sure if an existing canvas can be resized but if so, then doubling the pixel width should take care of that.
    CC3 doesn't use a canvas/drawing surface of a fixed size. It is always of infinite size (for all practical purposes). Objects on the map border layer constrain the drawing tools however, to help you "draw inside the border" (See my post above). But if you use the basic drawing functions, you'll notice you can draw anywhere, even way far outside the border.
    As a side note, CC3 doesn't use the concept of pixels either. It operates in drawing units, which are totally unrelated to pixels.
  • That was exactly what was wrong. I'd put some navigation lines on there, and had them on the right sheet but the wrong layer.

Thank you very much.