Trace Tool Question

I have a dumb question. I am using the trace tool. How do I know or how do I make it go left or right?
I hit the trace node and I want to trace to the left, but it is going to the right all the way around my continent.

I just want to trace it a little bit to the left and then enter the closing trace node and then go back up.

What am I doing wrong?

To explain it better, imagine I start in the center of the circle.
I go down to 180 degrees and want to trace from 180 to 270 then close the trace node and then go back to the center and close.
It is going from 180, to 90, through 0, and continuing around to 270. In other words, the trace tool is automatically trying to select everything I DON'T want selected because it is automatically trying to follow to the right of my landmass instead of to the left.

From what I have seen it is random at the point I select the start of the trace node.
Sometimes it wants to go to the left.
Sometimes it wants to go to the right.

It is almost always in the direction I don't want it to go.
Murphy's Law I guess.

Is there a way to control the direction that it will trace?

Edit: I put this in the wrong category. My Mistake.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Hi WESeib :)

There's a wonderful video tutorial available from the resources sticky at the top of the forum, but since you won't already know who Dogtag is, then its probably not that obvious from there.

This is the actual thread that Dogtag created with the link to the tutorial from there.

http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=6723
  • WESeibWESeib Newcomer
    Funny enough, I just got to that part in my Tome of Ultimate Mapping. It's on page 29.
    I am working through it. But, I put my mountains on my coast line and wanted to trace the coast line.
    He did his in the middle so he hadn't covered it until he built his marsh land.

I got ahead of myself. Thank you very much for the tutorial link!
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Though the thanks should really go to Dogtag I'm glad I could help by pointing you in the right direction :)

Since you mention it, the Tome is pretty weighty reading if you mean to work all the way through it. Its good to want to know everything, but at the same time its also good to take a break from the Tome every now and then and just map the things you meant to map when you bought the app - using what you've already learned ;)

I use the Tome more as a reference book to look things up these days.