Trouble Understanding Send Behind Command

So I am having trouble understanding the Send Behind command. I am trying to sort some mountains and I want to send a mountain symbol behind another mountain symbol, but not all the mountain symbols.

Send behind definitely seems to be the route to go. However when i click on the first element. Then click on another, it seems to just add it to the selections. Clicking Do It at this point, doesn't seem to do anything.

I am not sure what I am missing with how to use this command.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I don't tend to use that one, since it also confuses me and its tricky selecting specific mountains in a tight cluster of the same.

You could always use the Symbols/Sort Symbols in Map menu item, which automatically sorts all the symbols you select before clicking do it in the right order - topmost to the back, and bottom most to the front.
  • Yes I have used Symbols/Sort Symbols in Map, but I am noticing some ways/places that it doesn't work that well. Which is the reason I am trying my had at Send Behind or the Send to Front command.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    edited September 2018
    Send Behind should work the way you think it does. Watch the command prompt. Immediately after startign the command, it should ask for 'Move below entity' (which is the entity you wish to move other things behind). Immediately after clicking on this entity once, the prompt should change to 'Select Entities (0 picked)'. This is the indication that an entity was correctly picked as the 'foremost entity', and you can proceed to select the entities to send behind it (and proceed with Do It).

There are a couple of things that may go wrong:
    - If the spot where you clicked to select the 'fore entity' also contains the edge of other entities, you may accidentally have picked one of these instead. If that means the entity picked was on another sheet, the command won't do anything, since sheet order overrides entity order, send behind only works on the same sheet.
    - You click on the 'fore entity' more than once. If it is also part of the selection, it means it will be moved along with the other entities, and since they keep their relative ordering, nothing will actually happen.
    - Your mountains are not on the same sheet.
  • My experience is if they are on the same sheet Move Behind works easily. Or if the one you want to 'move behind' can be placed on a different sheet.
  • Monsen that is the help I was looking for. I was misreading the instructions for the command. I kept on clicking on the element I wanted to move first, and then the element to move it behind second. And that clearly wasn't working =)
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I do that as well. In my case its because that was the order in which I automatically thought of the thing:

"I want to move this.... behind this"

Its also the order its done in CorelDraw, which is what I used for 20 years before I ever heard of CC3 :P

So Remy has just solved the problem for me as well. Until now, I've been using only the menu sort, and the bring to the front or send to the back buttons...