Tutorials for Castle Creator? Help please

Hello,

I have been using Campaign Cartographer (a very little) for years. However, it has been ERY basic stuff. Nothing fancy just basic mapping of an island, a few countries and a kingdom for you little girl’s Harvester’s game.

However, recently, my current Castle & Crusade’s gaming group has decided to pull up some of our higher level characters from the years out of retirement for a new campaign. I may be pulling out an old 1e Cavalier who when I retired him years ago, was leaving his home kingdom to establish a castle and a town in the boarder wild lands.

The GM told me to go ahead and fast forward a few years to after the castle and the town were established and working. Then to map them out for him and he would pull it into his world.

I’ve pulled out the old hex paper and colored pencils and note paper and got a lot of ideas working. However, I have been thinking about trying to map the castle, the town and surrounding area with campaign cartographer and castle creator.

What I’m planning is a hill castle complex similar to the town castle / lake castle from Castle Creator, on top of a hill, with a town at the base of the hill. With 2 levels or so to the out buildings, and up to 4 level of the main keep building, and the towers of 5 to 6 levels. Plus a few levels of basement below the main buildings

I quickly figured out I am well outside my depths to map the hill, multi-level castle with basement, and town.

So, are there any good tutorials that you all would suggest I go to, to learn what I need to take on something this large and complex ?

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I've never seen an actual castle tutorial... but having said that I immediately find a tag popping up in my chaotic brain mentioning Joachim de Ravenbel. I can't remember where it is, though. Maybe Dogtag can help with that one. I think its one of those that you find on a separate site of its own... and in parts... Dogtag?

I've also never heard of Castle Creator. Is that a separate app you are talking about?

I think there is a collection of example castle maps, which could be very useful for your project... and which I'm just going to go and search for...

Yes - I wasn't imagining it! Here is is: https://secure.profantasy.com/products/smc.asp

Castles are also mentioned in the sticky resources thread at the top of the forum ;)

I hope that should be enough to get things rolling :)
  • Thanks

Rgr on the product, that is what I'm referring to.

I'm trying to figure out / learn how to make something close to some of the castles in it.

I realize that 1 tutorial for all of it may be to much to expect, but if there are different tutorial that show the different parts that I could use to learn from it would be a great help
  • Have you done any searches on YouTube for tutorials? You'll have to dig through them for castle specific stuff, but you may find something useful (and there's a tone of CC3 stuff there).
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I don't have that set, but there is usually some kind of information about the artwork in sets like that. If that doesn't include tutorials I'm afraid there is no easy 5 minute solution. That's why there's a set of ready made castles.

I don't think there are any tutorials about how to draw castles . I might be wrong, since I've never been inclined to draw that many and haven't ever really searched for them, but I think I would have heard about them in passing if there were.

If I was tackling this from your angle I would probably look at those maps and find examples of the things I wanted to be able to draw, then show a very small section of the map as a screen shot and ask questions about drawing that bit, until you have a library of information that is tuned to your needs. It also helps if the rest of us have something more specific to focus on, rather than a general question about how to draw castles :)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    There is a tutorial in the documentation pdf supplied with the product. This is written for CC2 (This is what Source Maps: Castles was made for initially), but most things are rather similar. There is also an updated and slightly expanded version of this tutorial in the Tome (and some minor updates coming along in the next update of the Tome, since the current version was written before this add-on was made CC3+ compatible)

Also note that Castle Designer is mainly based on two other add-ons, Dungeon Designer and Perspectives, any tutorials for these two products also helps you with making castles using SMC.
  • edited September 2018
    All

Thanks

Loop, good point on taking small sections and asking for specific help on those examples. It the ole "how do you eat a elephant" ... one bite at a time . I need to be reminded of that (in oh so many things). I'll step back. take the advice, and I'm sure I'll be back asking about specific problems down the road.

Mon. I glanced through the PDF, but it was a quick look through for ideas and such. I'll go through and re-read it more in-depth. At the least I'm sure it will help get me started asking Loop's small specific questions.

Also, good point on Dungeon desiner ... I have it, but honestly have never used it ... so yeah I guess I need to do some watching of tutorials for that to get a better foundation.