Tracing a Continent sized map

So I want to make my own trace of a continent sized map. There is a lot to it however.

I have my doubts of being able to get it in one go as it likely will have in the thousands of nodes.

is there any suggestions about how to do it in pieces perhaps and then stitch it all together?

Comments

• DogtagDogtag Moderator, Betatester Traveler
    Is the source that you want to trace a raster image (bitmap, jpeg, png, etc.)? If so, take a look at this article, which talks about the new CC3+ feature for creating contours from raster images.
  • Yes the original map is a jpeg. Thanks for the article link.
  • Thousand, not hundreds of thousands, of nodes is not a problem. BUT, if you then go and fractalize it you will then multiply the node count and it's easy to get into a troublesome node count. I 'think' I've had polygons in the 20k nodes range without too much problem. BUT, been years since I've looked at the node count etc.

You can make multiple polys, and then combine them into a single. But, that's more a workflow issue as I think once you combine them (or use multipoly) you end up with the same mathematical entity.
  • I don't typically fractalize at continent, nor hemisphere, level maps. I fractalize smaller region, or small nation, maps. Much easier on my computer. I have 4 gigs of ram, but only a 1.6 GHz CPU.

I don't use symbols either. A green bitmap fill for huge forests, or a sand or brown fill for large desert or steppe areas. Nations and one or two major cities get a marker.