importing/using JPG

i have a map outline saved as a JPEG, i could convert it to some thing else if need be. id like to use this as the outline of a new cc3 map, but i cant see how to do this. is there a way?

Comments

• insert handles bmp and png. So just use irfanview to convert the jpg to one of those formats. Determine the size of the map it represents. Draw a border that size. Put the import on its own layer. Trace over it. Delete the import when done.

So if the map is 100 miles wide by 200 miles high, make a border that size on the border layer.

Import the bmp, or png. Use 0,0 as the lower left corner.

Once the lower left corner is placed, hold down the shift ket and move the mouse pointer to place the upper right corner.

As you get it to the upper leftr corner, let go the shift key, and click trhe left mouse button to place.

Change layers and trace over the map.
  • sorry, ive only been doing this for 1 day. i found a way to import it as a symble. i did make a PNG layer and make it active. but i dont see under any of the tabs import
    also im using SS1 fantasy color option, how do i make the (mapkey) go away? its getting added automaticly.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    To import an image into the drawing, follow these steps:
    Access the "Draw" menu -> Insert File -> Browse to your map file, select it, and click open. Then select the coordinates for the import as described by JimP above.
    Posted By: dozerhow do i make the (mapkey) go away?
    Delete it with the Erase [ERA] tool. The key isn't even on a frozen layer, so just juse the Erase tool to select and delete it.
  • 17 days later
  • Hey, I have not been online since I last posted my questions, thanks for the advice. I have traced out my map, got rid of the key. And figured out why things kept disappearing. Now I have an out line but I can’t see how to fill it with the default grassland terrain? onc past this hurdle i think ill be ok, as popping in mountains and stream seams like it fairly easy.
  • RalfRalf Administrator, ProFantasy 🖼️ 18 images Mapmaker
    Is your outline closed, i.e. is the entity a polygon and not a path? If not, use Path to Poly (right-click the Explode button) on it. Then use Change Properties to give it the fill that you want.

Hope that helps.
  • Maybe the question I should have asked is should I have been using the default landmass tool or the one of the others, as I was trying to scroll the screen around to trace the map it was trying to draw stuff every were so I switched to the pencial tool.
  • well ive been whacking away at this for awile now. i went back through and clean every thing up and tryed to make sure all lines met up. i used explode and boxed in the whole map. it turned gray and i clicked do it. ive tryed all sorts of stuff to fill it. but even after going to edit/change propertys/ and selecting both 3d and 2d polys, and dark land. it dose not fill. any more suggestions.
    Perhaps you need to post your map so we can take a look at what's going wrong with your continent. If you exploded everything, chances are you have lots of single entities, and if you tried to match up paths by eye, they might not even really be connected.
  • yes, after more looking around i see at the bottom where i have 1000 entities. and after trying to connect paths. i still have 50. ill post this after work. thanks all for the help.
  • ok here is the map im trying to work on.
    edited April 2009
    Uh... I'm sorry this doesn't look too good. Take a look at the attached version where I've highlighted three (of many) problematic areas. Before you can make the landmass into one object and fill it, you'll need to clean up all these points along the coastline, making it into one, uninterrupted path.

I would suggest starting this from scratch (which is probably the fastest method), keeping the following in my:
    - if you can't do it in one go, draw separate PATHs, each distinct from the next with just a little gap where they are supposed to join up at the end.
    - don't use the freehand style tool, use a normal PATH
    - don't cross lines anywhere
    - when you're done with that, simply use COmbine Paths to your join all your separate paths into one. Then use Path to Poly to make it into a closed polygon.

Sorry, that I don't have better news.
  • Also, if you're scrolling a map around, you do get lines that try to draw themselves out to where you clicked on the scroll bar. However, these are not drawing entities - just echoes of where you were clicking. So when you move the map, they should disappear.

If you want to do things the slower way, then the node manipulation buttons become your friends. You can delete nodes, trim to just hit lines, and move nodes on a path so that they hit the end of the next path.

Personally, I'd do it the slow way, because you'll get a lot of practice at different types of manipulation. However, unless you have a reason to make each island and inlet perfectly accurate (which may be the case) then you could also try fractal path. It adds zigzagging along the line you want. You could combine that with more accurate tracing for any areas that have been defined already, if it's a game-map.
  • yah, i was afraid of this, but its more practice. and the best way to lear is by doing. thanks again for the help. ill get it yet
  • 13 days later
  • ok started all over, i now have my outline, it is one entity. but i cant seam to change the fill style. how do i tell if it is a pollygon or just a path. i click the path to polly and nothing happends.
  • edited May 2009
    That's quite a nice continent.

Now you right-click explode and select Path To Poly and you will fill it (obiouvlsy, there'sq still a gap form first to last point)
    (it's quite funny that right-clicking explode let's you the reverse :))

Will you add more ? Otherwise, IMHO, you can scale the outline up or the border down...
  • ok, im stuck ive been at this for 8.5 hours its 130am ... and im going nuts i want to connect my inland sea to the outer sea, with the two little inlets. i cant get any thing to connect agian, no line to path no conect path no path to polly, nothing. at one point the little ocean was all filled with water, and the river too. but im trying to combine them so i can out line them with out here beeing a black line where it should not be. i just dont understand why i cant connect them back together like i did earler.
  • ok, done.
    i think that the problem was that when i exploded the lake, its outline became little bits of lines too. but im not sure. all i know is there was tones of lines on top of other lines in the same place. so i used the color picker and did line to path progressivly around the lake tell every thing was the same color. though i had to do alot of snipping with the split, node delet,and eraser tools. thanks for the help.
    any one know of some good sites to get more symbols to use?
  • Depends on what kind of symbols you need.

While these are CC2 symbols, many should work in CC3.
    symbol challenge

All of the ones I have done are in there along with lots of smybols from other folks.
  • To get an area to autofill, I use polygon with a bitmap fill of my choice. You can also use Smooth Poly and Fractal Poly. These are on the right side of CC3. The buttons. Just hover your mouse pointer over the buttons. Sometimes I have had to move the mouse pointer away from the buttons then back to get the tool tips. Happens to me on all commercial software I have, not just CC3 and add-ons.