Move the data directory

Can you move the data folder location? I'm starting to question my acceptance of the default location and I download more and more additional symbols and textures and think I might like to have the data reside on my NAS. I assume I can simply move the folder, and then edit the @.ini file to point to the new path but are there any negative implications to doing so?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Your procedure is correct. Normally, there is no downside to doing this, unless some of your drawings use the absolute path to the location of the data directory instead of the proper "@" relative identifier. For official stuff, this should never be an issue, neither should it be with any of the four community packs, but if you have imported your own custom symbols and stuff, there is a possibility of having the wrong path in there.

Note that moving it to your NAS will cause a performance penalty though, as this will never be as fast or responsive as a local drive. Personally, I keep this directory on my fastest local drive.

I am also completely unsure how to interpret the EULA in this case, as the data directory is part of your CC3+ installation, and putting it on a NAS could give more computers access to it than the licence allows for (not to mention that most NAS boxes are stricklty speaking computers in their own right).
  • Thanks Monsen! Maybe I'll stick to backing up my data folder on the NAS - the performance hit is a good point.