Community Atlas: Basher Bay, Dead Forest, Stalwart Keep

Southwest, lower left, area of The Dead Forest.

I'll be mapping the area around the keep, and the keep itself. Well, the surface ruins and a bit of a basement.

First map is the general area, then I'll attach the map that shows the general area around the keep.

The keep area map is about 2.5 X 2 miles. I'll make a close in map, and a basement.

Comments

• I always like your maps, they invite for adventures. I would like to start with a dwarven warrior and explore the places.Crying pond is my favorite!
  • Thanks !

Here is a slightly detailed map of the Stalwart Keep area. I figured out a way to put a dashed line around a dried up pond. Not sure the color 68 is it. But browns tend to disappear.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    Very impressive! I'm not sure I would know how to put a dashed line around a pond!

Good work, Jim :)
  • Change the line style, select a color, and do outline and select the pond. It may have been around for years, but I just now had a use for it.

Oh, and someone named Sue did the September Annual, 2018, Japanese Temple. Congrats !
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2018
    This map needs work, or its fine the way it is. A large area, and a smaller png.

I'm rather tired and not happy with this map. What do you think ?

Here is the scenario.

The good people who once inhabited the now evil wizard's tower searched for a small group to defend the southwest corner of their small forest.

One day a group of monks, unknown to the locals that they are Lawful evil, said they would build a place and defend the forest. Yes, evil, but these particular monks had learned long ago that forced conversion always resulted in rebellion.

So they decided to show by example. They were given permission to build on a small hill southwest of what is now The Dead Forest.

There were attacks by evil creatures, all were destroyed by the monks. They did not accept accolytes, but did train a few villagers in tactics with their strange looking spears and other weapons.

After some centuries, they started falling by the wayside. Sometimes this lead to evil getting past them and attacking a village. They did come to the village's assistance, but the other keeps stopped trusting them.

They did improve, helped more often. But as the original stone walls needed repair, wood was substituted. The local cavalry captain tried to warn them, but he was told their weapons were strong enough to keep evil away from the villages.

Some years past, to test the monks, an evil wizard sent 100 orcs, goblins, and a few ogres. None of this force returned to the wizard. Only 10 monks remained at this point, but they stood their ground and destroyed the attacking force. While some of the monks were injured, they all recovered.

The gods they prayed to did not like them associating with good, and their lack of following their original beliefs upset the same gods. So it was decided that if they needed help in future, there would be none offered.

Came the day the grandson of the past evil wizard wanted this area for himself. He sent large forces against the keeps and villages. None got past the monks, difficult as that may seem.

A rider came a few days later and asked for help. Five of the monks went with him.

Two days later, a thousand orcs, goblins, ogres, and a few hill giants attacked the monks.

The orcs who survived could only talk about how the monks smiled as they killed many of the attackers.

Two of the monks were injured. All 5 formed up on the south wall. Ready for their last stand, maybe the other five would return.

Drums sounded in front of them. They were ready. Then they heard the drums behind them and knew there was no help.

Two stayed on the south wall. One in the center of the compund as a ready reserve. Two to the north wall.

The surviving attackers buried the five monks with honor. When the evil wizard ordered them to mutilate the monks, the attackers refused. A storm cloud appeared and lightning bolts came down near the wizard. So he allowed them to be buried in a row side by side.

What of the break in the wall guarded by five cherry blossom trees ? That is where monks of previous groups were buried. It was hoped they would rise up and help defend the keep. But their gods denied them the oppourtunity of doing so.

What of the five monks who didn't return ? That is unknown.
    Interesting story there, Jim. These monks don't seem to be all that evil really - more inclined to do good than anything?

How about using the long narrow buildings to make a more impressive wall?

There is a lot of space in this map. Are you going to add any landscape features? Fields, woodlands... the village? A river, maybe?
  • Add more dead trees, maybe some living pine ones. Maybe a long gone orchard, with a few producing trees.

I could add more wall buildings, but the walls are badly repaired. I'll think about it. Maybe put some gaps in the walls and add debris.

The monks may have started as LE, and slowly changed to more good, say LE with some good tendencies. And thats one more reason their gods turned their collective backs on them.
  • I like the story, Jim. Do you have similar background for the other places like the lake of surprises or the castle of the dead?
  • I only write a storyline occasionally. I haven't mapped those places yet. I might write something for them.
    I think the local population converted the monks ;)
  • Thats possible, or something else happened.
  • A bit of more symbols.

I am thinking about adding rock debris and a ballista, but I don't think they would show up at this scale well.
  • I'm about ready to wrap this up if there are no more suggestions... I forgot to write down everything I did, so I may have to take a day or two to type up this location.

Thinking about putting a small storage area under one of the buildings. Or maybe two or more buildings.
  • and in the storage area is the beginning of a dungeon? :-)
  • Well, no comments. So I'll be working this week on the center building interior and a small basement.
    Looking good, Jim :)

Sorry - I've been a bit busy!
  • No problem. I've mostly been concentrating on my Traveller stuff.
  • Good stuff, Jim. I really appreciate your backstory and narrative with your maps. I've got to admit, i've stolen some ideas, especially from some of your great traps from your dungeon maps, for my own campaign. You should plan out a module for the DMs Guild!
  • I have a number of adventures on my Crestar site that show I'm not good at designing modules.

If anyone finds my stuff to be useful go right ahead and use it.

And thanks for the complement.
  • And I'm typing up Stalwart Keep.
  • JimPJimP 🖼️ 280 images Cartographer
    edited September 2018
    Location map and closer-in map. The posted pngs are at 75% of my 1200 pixel pngs.

Location map: stalwart_keep01.fcw

Doriant Penninsula

Symbols are from Mike Schley

Fill under the forest is: Scrubland_MS from Mike Schley

Land is Land_MS.

Ocean is: Sea_MS.

close in map: stalwart_keep02.fcw

Here is the scenario.

The good people who once inhabited the now evil wizard's tower searched for a small group to defend the southwest corner of their small forest.

One day a group of monks, unknonw to the locals that they are Lawful evil, said they would build a place and defend the forest. Yes, evil, but these particular monks had learned long ago that forced conversion always resulted in rebellion.

So they decided to show by example. They were given permission to build on a small hill southwest of what is now The Dead Forest.

There were attacks by evil creatures, all were destroyed by the monks. They did not accept accolytes, but did train a few villagers in tactics with their strange looking spears and other weapons.

After some centuries, they started falling by the wayside. Sometimes this lead to evil getting past them and attacking a village. They did come to the village's assistance, but the other keeps stopped trusting them.

They did improve, helped more often. But as the original stone walls needed repair, wood was substituted. The local cavalry captain tried to warn them, but he was told their weapons were strong enough to keep evil away from the villages.

Some years past, to test the monks, an evil wizard sent 100 orcs, goblins, and a few ogres. None of this force returned to the wizard. Only 10 monks remained at this point, but they stood their ground and destroyed the attacking force. While some of the monks were injured, they all recovered.

The gods they prayed to did not like them associating with good, and their lack of following their original beliefs upset the same gods. So it was decided that if they needed help in future, there would be none offered.

Came the day the grandson of the past evil wizard wanted this area for himself. He sent large forces against the keeps and villages. None got past the monks, difficult as that may seem.

A rider came a few days later and asked for help. Five of the monks went with him.

Two days later, a thousand orcs, goblins, ogres, and a few hill giants attacked the monks.

The orcs who survived could only talk about how the monks smiled as they killed many of the attackers.

Two of the monks were injured. All 5 formed up on the south wall. Ready for their last stand, maybe the other five would return.

Drums sounded in front of them. They were ready. Then they heard the drums behind them and knew there was no help.

Two stayed on the south wall. One in the center of the compund as a ready reserve. Two to the north wall.

The surviving attackers buried the five monks with honor. When the evil wizard ordered them to mutilate the monks, the attackers refused. A storm cloud appeared and lightning bolts came down near the wizard. So he allowed them to be buried in a row side by side.

What of the break in the wall guarded by five cherry blossom trees ? That is where monks of previous groups were buried. It was hoped they would rise up and help defend the keep. But their gods denied them the oppurtunity of doing so.

What of the five monks who didn't return ? That is unknown.

Template: Annual 141, 2018, Japanse Temple.

Symbols: same Annual

Temple mound color: 114

Lost Pond colors: 38, 40

Background: CDA3_Grass 1

Road and foot paths: color 40

Sinkhole: Street dirt light_CA141, and Street dirt med_CA141

Text font: Mistral
  • 2 Maps shown above submitted.
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    JimP's maps are now in the atlas. Thanks for the contributions Jim.

Stalwart Keep
    Stalwart Keep Environs