FT3 - Change north pole position and retain edits

Hi everyone,

I have recently returned to fiddling about with Fractal Terrains (making up a world map for a new worldbuilding project) and had forgotten the number one rule of not having any land on the 180/-180 line. I generated maps until I ound one which seemed to have the basis of what I wanted and got to editing coastlines, filling divets, etc. The edits were fairly significant, and took a good amount of time.

However, after running the incise flow funciton, I ended up getting those artefacts (rectangles of insane height, depth. Grey on ) along the 180/-180 line.

I thought that editing the map to lower the land along the 180/-180 line to below sea level might work, but that hasn't seemed to fix the issue (I used prescale land offset to do this; might using normal land offset instead have made a difference?).

I am wondering if there is any way to change the north pole position while still retaining my edits. Can I export to some different file format, spin/rotate the world in that (in terms of longitude) and re-import?

Attached is a picture of one of the artefacts. Two show up; the other one is just a square of grey/blue like the lower section of this one - no land.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    edited August 2018
    You can move the north pole by opening the World Settings dialog, clicking the Secondary tab, and changing the longitude and latitude in the two boxes at the bottom of that tab. They should save as you save your world.

[Image_11493]

I am not sure I know how to put that edit artefact right, though, if you had already saved the file with it messed up like that. (If not then I'd just use undo till I got back to just before it happened).

The way I would do it if the file has been saved with that flaw is to click the next world button forward, then back again. But that works like a giant refresh and total undo button.

If you are lucky, then maybe someone else knows a much better way.
  • I know how to change the north pole position; the issue is that when you do so, all of your edits are screwed up (I think the prescale offset edits stay in the same spot, rather than moving with the map). I was wodering if there is a way to move the pole position, while keeping the world looking the same / the edits in place.

The artefact has not been saved into the file; I just ran an incise flow to get an image to show you all, then exited without saving.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I am hoping that someone else who knows a heap more than I do about this particular app can jump in to help you.

I've never tried to move the pole after editing while saving the edits. Moving the pole is the first thing I do - if its necessary to get the map just right.
  • Yeah, it's a pity; I learnt that last time I used the software. It's just been a while, so I had forgotten this time around.

I'm really attached to my current map, so I'd hate to have to restart.
  • jslaytonjslayton Moderator, ProFantasy Mapmaker
    Moving the north pole only affects the fractal function, it does not affect the editing data.

Most likely the

One way that you might be able to rectify your errors is to:

0) Make a backup copy of your map.

1) Use Tools>>Actions>>Normalize Data to make sure that any infinities are removed.

Select the area in question very tightly.
    Use Tools>>Global Smooth>>Land Offset with a large amount (5 or so).

Repeat the smoothing if required.

If you haven't adjusted the roughness setting via painting, you can temporarily disable the fractal function by deselecting the world and using Tools>>Global Set>>Land Roughness Edit with a value of 0. To reenable the fractal function, use Tools>>Global Set>>Land Roughness Edit with a value of 1. Don't do this if you have modified the roughness of your world. This operation can be useful for finding extreme values in your offset editing channel (it's those extreme values in one or two pixels that is causing your artifacts). Take a look at your world offset editing values and find which ones are typical, then use Tools>>Global Math Tool with Offset = Offset Maximum Constant (enter a number that is typical for minimum altitudes in the "Constant Value" field).
  • 27 days later
  • Can't you just move the north pole, do the incise, and then move the north pole back? I've experimented quite a lot with this feature, and I find it always goes back to what it was before you moved it.