Performance issue when using Trace

HI everyone,

When I use the Trace function CC3+ get very very very slow and in some cases so slow I have to kill it because I can no longer use it. It's stuck in a never ending update loop and remains responding.

I don't have sheet effects on when I do this.

Is there some setting that can effect this performance?

Thanks

Comments

• MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    Trace can get very slow if you trace a particularily complex entity. A few things that help:
    - Try to zoom in on the area you are ending your trace in. Having the trace work mostly off-screen helps.
    - Don't move your mouse when you wait for an update. Every mouse move causes the trace to begin anew. Insted, do one (large) mouse move and wait, and then only move it again when the screen has updated.
    - consider doing the trace in parts, one segment of the entity at a time.
  • Thanks Monsen,

I did as you suggested and I managed to get it done but the refresh rate was still very slow. The refresh cycle was around 1 to 2 seconds and that made it difficult to place my end point. It took me 5 minutes or so to get mouse cursor at the right place waiting each time I moved the mouse to each where the cursor was positioned.

I think the trace function needs to be optimized to speed it up. Like it doesn't need to calculate and render so many pixels in the preview but only show which parts of the entity that will be traced.

I'm using SS4 to make my map which can be very trace intensive in areas that are natural caves. My current map has a large cave area that I haven't done yet, much larger than the one that gave me this problem. I'll try to do it by small sections but I have some apprehension as to the result of that.
  • The number of symbols and bitmap fills will cause a slow down as well. CC3/CC3+ are 32-bit software.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    You can always use SIMPLIFY to reduce the sheer number of nodes prior to tracing. It works really well ;)
  • Hide the layers or sheets of stuff you don't need. Remember, when working on your map not only do you not need effects on, but you don't need everything shown either :)
  • Thanks everyone, all your advice has been very helpful.