Changing map in feet to metres

How do I change a map from feet to metres, so the distance tool actually measures metres, instead of relying on a scale on the map (which is easy to do, but doesn't address the distance tool).
I could perhaps copy and paste, but the map is huge already ie lots of symbols - it is my map of Fahrwasser, nearing completion. So restarting just ain't an option. I should have known to start it in metric, rather than outdated internally inconsistent 'imperial' measurements (even the name indicates how outdated it is), since my customer is European (ie not UK or USA), but I just had an obvious brain snap - especially unforgiveable, since I am Australian where we adopted the full metric system years and years ago.

Comments

• LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    So did we :)

It was part of joining Europe. We dived in and became... European. I'm 52, and one of the last people to have ever been taught imperial measurements in the UK. My little sister (3 years younger) wouldn't know an inch if it bit her!

Its not so much to do with the nationality. Its to do with the fact that RPG and everything associated with it was set up using imperial measurements ;)
  • MonsenMonsen Administrator 🖼️ 46 images Cartographer
    File -> Drawing Properties -> Drawing Units. Change the value in both dropdown boxes to meters, and leave Rescale checked. Then hit ok.

Note that this will rescale your entire map, but it won't touch effects or fill scaling. That means if you have effects specified in map units, you must manually edit these effects and divide all values expressed in units by 3 (or multiply by 0.3048 to be precise). You'll also need to edit the fill styles and do the same with scaling. Once both those have been fixed, the map should look exactly as before, but if you measure something, the value should be in meters and be correct.

To save yourself from manually fixing the effects and fill scaling, you can also use the map scaling command I posted at the very end of the Scale Matters article, and use that to scale your map by 0.3048, this scales the entire map, including effect sizes and fill scaling. You'll still need to access the drawing units dialog to set things to meters, but in this case, make sure to uncheck Rescale in this dialog since you already performed scaling.
  • Thanks, Monsen - to the rescue as always. I'll try the latter method first and let you know how I go - tomorrow.

Sue, they still have miles and mph (and yards and feet) in UK - very confusing to travel from Ireland to the rebel north where one goes from sensible kilometers, and kph to senseless miles and mph. Unless that's all changed since middle of last year. Confusing to see 60 on road signs - i think of a slow speed, and the rest of the traffic flew past me - often with horns honking till I realized they meant 60 mph, ie ~ 100 kph. Ah well. At least you have decimal currency, so that's a start.
    That's the only imperial thing we have left. I think the consensus of political opinion at the time was that the huge majority of cars on the road had milometers. Only very few had kilometres even shown. My Triumph Herald (same age as me) definitely only had miles. So... it stayed as it was, or people would have been doing about 45 km/hour in 30 km/hour speed zones - while reading 30 mph on their speedo :P

They left it the same, and never bothered to change it at any time afterwards.

But go into a supermarket and find anything in pounds and ounces - the shop is breaking the law, and will receive a heavy fine for even displaying the equivalent weight in old imperial measurements. I hate it, and wish we could go back to pounds and ounces. All my recipe books are in pounds and ounces.
  • I have startled a few people locally by letting them know our measurements come from the British Empire... why its called Imperial... and not originating with the U.S. They were against metric because it was 'foreign'. Oh well.
  • Funny that Aussies could manage the changeover, along with Ireland and New Zealand. Does Canada have metric?
  • Canada is metric, though things are still labeled in both imperial and metric. It leads to some odd things: for instance, i understand pounds much better than kilograms (but can convert them no problem) but much prefer distance in metric (kilometers, centimeters, millimeters). Metric feels much more precise to me.
    Quenten - I'm sure it was a very important... no... a CRITICAL cost assessment. We didn't know it at the time, but our politicians were more interested in building mansions for themselves - complete with ridiculous follies. It would have been just as expensive to change all the road signs and modify all the existing cars ;)

(Just call me cynical :P)
  • Isn't beer still sold in pints in pubs?
    I have absolutely no idea. I can't afford to go in a pub these days.

The cans are all in ml and litres in the shops...
  • Beer and milk are both still sold in pints in the UK. Milk cartons list the litre size as well (and usually more prominently). Personally, I've never had much problem working in whichever system people preferred, but that maybe because I've had contacts in different parts of the world over time who used their own local system as routine. After a while, it becomes second nature to remember what the various conversion factors are for the items you use most commonly, at least.
  • I had a really nice and informative reply to this thread, but I posted it elsewhere! But anyway, in case you didn't see it in the other thread...
    Posted By: LordEntrailsActually, the US doesn't use the Imperial system of measurement, we us US Customary.

They are close, but not the same. They are significantly different in Volume and Weight.
    1 liquid US gallon = .833 Imperial gallon
    1 dry US gallon = .968 Imperial gallon
    (Yea, wet vs dry gallons, ugh!)
    1 US ton = 2000 lbm where 1 British ton = 2260 lbm

And no, we don't like it either, but it's what people know (even though we "went metric" in 1976, people and businesses just refused). And people are stubborn.
  • No problem for me.

I've used some bits of metric for years. I'm just not used to thinking in a conversion between US and metric. I have to look it up.