WIP vertical and horizontal maps of Traveller sub-sectors

These are Sub-Sector A of the Cluster area. There are 16 sub-sectors in all. Not all levels have solar systems.

First map is a chart showing the levels by color, not the star type. This is all of Sub-Sector A, the dots with a white circle on them are the ones mapped so far.

Second map is the Sub-Sector with planets, G for has a gas giant in the system, a letter to the left of the planet symbol shows type of star port. No letter there means no starport. Don't see any letters ? Well, this cluster is one huge work in progress.

The area mapping in the vertical slice will be the second row from the left. The one with planet Odac in it. The 4 digit numbers are the hexagons they are located in.

The third map is the vertical slice of the horizontal row. The yellow dots are locations of future planets on level 3.

This sub-sector is on the upper left of the star cluster, so it doesn't have lots of stars.

Comments

• Do the sizes of the coloured circles in the first map have any significance, Jim?
  • Nope, I should have made some as vari- color symbols and just placed them. But I just made solid circles and placed them.
  • 18 days later
  • Hmmm... one thing I have been thinking of, is to take a Perspectives template and add Cosmographer planets to it... so I get a 3d look for a sub-sector.

It was probably Sue that mentioned trying this. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I'll be giving it a try.
  • LoopysueLoopysue ProFantasy 🖼️ 39 images Cartographer
    I didn't mean to make more work for you, Jim!

I think it was Wyvern who pointed out that some systems would be obscured by others if you did it in Perspectives.
  • Not more work but an attempt to do it in 3D.

I think Wyvern. was referring to stars on different levels obscuring stars below them. But I hadn't planned on stacking them in the same hex.

But if I can get it to work... I can stack them.in the same hex.
  • Yes, I thought I'd said something on those lines after Sue had suggested trying Perspectives, but it took some tracking down to confirm!

I think part of the difficulty in all this is using the artificial hex-grid to place objects in 3D space, since essentially hexagons aren't 3D objects unless you make them into prisms (that is, extend them along the vertical axis if viewing them from "above" or "below"). That means of course that in a side-view, they'd be effectively squares or rectangles, not hexes. A square, or cubic in 3D, grid might be easier to visualise (albeit this is not used in Traveller), though it has its own limitations.
  • My general idea is to use the vertical template I created; however, for the Perspectives view only the right side most column will have a starry/solid background. The rest will have no background.

That way the all the vertical layers can be glimpsed. And it is very likely the word 'glimpsed' is accurate.

However, and its a big however.

I may find that I can't get Perspectives to do this.

Or its so painful for my understanding of Perspectives, I do no more than one of the 16 sub-sectors, as an example.

I have mapped almost all of level 1, it has the least number of solar systems. That leaves 2 sub-sectors of level 1, all of level 2, and about half the level 3 sub-sectors. I'm being vague as I don't remember how many planets that leaves.

I'll be doing something else most of Friday, and possibly for several hours on Saturday.
  • Level 1 done, no uploads yet. Only level 2 and part of level 3 left to go... but level 3 has the most solar systems.
  • I decided to count the planets on the map of Breloss star cluster.

Turns out there are not 618, but 648 possible planets. An extra 30 may not seem like much, but I did keep wondering why this was taking so long. Now I know.

After I get my Atlas maps done, and get this done, I may take up something easier on my eyes like beading. Yes, beading is easier. I certainly have more patience for it. Which is why some of my maps, particularly my older CC2 maps, look hurredly done. Which they were.

So, about 205 plnets left to name, make n FT3 map of, place ni sub-sectors and sectors. Upload them all, then start typing the couple of hundred articles.

Nap time, thats what time it is ! Nap time !
  • So, you're really glad you decided to embark on all this now, aren't you Jim? ;D
  • Well. Yeah. The nap time thing was a joke. I have relaxed ate a meal and now I'm back at mapping.
  • Mapping.

And my computer was forced to update to MS Win 10 version 1803.

I don't think much of Defender, and I have no use for kiosk device software. Waste of my time. Maybe I should bill MS for my time wasted.

Anyway, I complete another subsector in the star cluster. I did some planets with and without clouds for the entire sub-sector. This is with Terraformer 0.5. I may do some more of these in future. I haven't done all of my planets that way, as it would mean a doubling of the ft3 maps.

I thnk I made the suggestion on my site of the cloudless maps being the referee's maps, and the ones with clouds being player maps.
  • Nothing seems to be missing, unlike a patch in 2017. Now I can control a kiosk with the latest patch. I have no kiosks today, nor any other day. So a 45 minute wait for nothing.
  • 142 maps left to go, upload over 200 pngs, type up over 200 articles, links to Sectors, sub-sectors, and the planets from the sub-sector maps.

This will finish Breloss Star Cluster with 648 planet maps and universal world profiles. There are about 300 of these on my web site currently.
  • PerryCPerryC Traveler
    edited September 2018
    Ummm....holy crap....that is...?? (at a loss for words here)

Awesome! (not to mention crazy)
  • Making maps in FT3 is easy. I don't modify them with the FT3 tools. I just change land size, ocean percentage, color, etc. Export as Cosmo template.

The hard part is coming up with names, deciding where to place the planet in what subsector, then add symbols and text to sub-sector and sector maps. Upload all, and link them.

I figure about 3,000 maps will do it. Well, I want to connect all empires, etc. together. Filling in the other spaces can wait.

And my computer patched again on Wednesday.
  • I have cut back... there were going to be 648 planets, but I dropped 11 so its now 637 planets. And I'm making the sub-sectors in decreasing number of planets. So the last few will be 2 planets each. Yes, this is getting a bit wearisome. But it will get finished.

So; 14, 12, 12, 10, 11. etc. 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2. for 116 left to go. Most of level 3 is done, nothing yet in level 2, all the others; level 1, 4, 5, 6, and 7; are completed.
  • I have cut back in the star cluster, not the overall site.
  • PerryCPerryC Traveler
    edited September 2018
    That still requires a lot of work and effort on your part. Especially with how your site for these maps is organized. Awesome work!
  • I improved the navigation menus. A previous menu version would load slower and slower the more I added to them. The current menu system doesn't seem to do that.

And Thanks !